Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Am I at risk of seizure? Or anything bad? Jumping off in 5 days.

[cn...]

Hey guys. I've done a pretty fast taper off of ativan. And really it's been a not so bad ride! The tolerance w/d was the WORST :crazy:... thank GOD up above that only lasted a few nights until I got my crap together and started up-dosing then weaning.

My question is... I've been dropping .25mg per week for about 7 weeks so far.

My psychiatrist said to go ahead and jump of at .25mg. I'm going to do it since I've made it this far dropping .25mg per week and haven't really suffered too badly at all. It seems like the tolerance w/d was the worst, and the anxiety it caused me.

Am I at risk of SEIZURE by jumping off .25mg? Or since I've been tapering do you think I'll be okay? Thanks guys.  :thumbsup:

hi cnotr

.25 Sounds like alot to be jumping off of imo, i would not recommend doing that unless you have no other choice...why not cut it in half for a week or two?

As for a seizure....naa i wouldnt worry about that.

Hi,

Using rough equivalencies, 0.25 mg. of Ativan equals 2.5 mg. of Valium. (Ashton)

The risk of seizure would be very low. 

Using Ashton's observations of those who tapered off their benzos, 50% were successful (did not reinstate); the other 50% were not initially successful; of those 50%, 25% of those went on to have a successful taper and did not reinstate; 25% remained on their benzos.

IMO, the goal is to do everything possible to be in the first group - the 50% who were successful and did not reinstate.  Would you be willing to go 1 more week at 0.125 mg? 

All the best,  :) Laurie

Hi cnotr, I agree, IMHO and from what I read ,1 more week at .125 may increase your chance of success.

;)

I feel VERY confident that I can jump off .25mg at no problem. WHY? Because there have been 3 nights in a row where I almost forget to take my .25mg ativan, and I'm like 4 hours late taking it. lol. And I have no problems.

BUT! I will take this all with a grain of salt, and will go ahead and wean ONE more week on .125mg. =)

I AM DETERMINED to BE DONE with ativan. And so far it has been a pretty easy ride. Remeron has helped tremendously. I will be off that too before long. Hell, I might even stay on it, I havent had appetite like this in years. lol. I actually enjoy eating w/my family, doing things with them again, and I've been working on crazy projects for Halloween, and my costume. I've been building a cool Dat Punk Helmet with LEDS in it. Things have been pretty good.

There are a few nights where I'm sensitive to light, I feel a tad off balance, and when I feel like that I can feel my anxiety wanting to peak, b/c it's not a natural feeling, but I just take deep breaths and tell myself "its only ativan w/d, give it NO THOUGHT, breath... relax" and the feeling actually lifts quite a bit, and the anxiety diminishes.

Well, I have an appointment with my psychiatrist tomorrow at 2pm. Will probably write a little bit about it on here. =)

Peace and LOVE!