Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Has anyone experienced an inability to think?

[in...]

I am at .25 down from 2.5 2 months ago.  I cannot think or remember anything.  I have to go on short term disability because I cannot function at work.  Also I have this tunnel vision where I am not even aware of things going on around me. This is in addition to the horrible fatigue I've had all along.  Who could have seen that a stupid pill could cause so much trouble?

Outlaw benzos now!

[ef...]

Yeah. Sounds like brain fog to me. 

In my early days off, i could not remember anything.  I also had the tunnel vision kind of feeling.  It has since improved very much.  These kind of cognitive issues are par for the benzo course, and very normal.

Try and do a search for "cog fog" in the search box above.  You'll be comforted by what you find.

Feel better soon,

Fieldychan

[2a...]

YES, YES and YES...I have had this, for sure. It's very, very annoying to be without your reasoning or cognitive skills. I'm sorry you're experiencing this. I am told that it will pass w/ time as you put more time in between yourself and the drug. Hang in there- you're nearing the end of your taper and things will get better as time passes and you heal up.

Much healing to you, Nicole

Thank you Fieldychan and Lamberfn.  (bye the way, how do you reply to one person - there is just one reply tab at the bottom of a thread?) Do either of you know how long this non thinking will go on? It's jeapordizing my job! (I know everybody's different,  but maybe a ballpark number?)  You folks are a Godsend,  it is comforting to have people who can relate!

Thank you Fieldychan and Lamberfn.  (bye the way, how do you reply to one person - there is just one reply tab at the bottom of a thread?) Do either of you know how long this non thinking will go on? It's jeapordizing my job! (I know everybody's different,  but maybe a ballpark number?)  You folks are a Godsend,  it is comforting to have people who can relate!

Hi inkster jim,

You can use the quote link in the upper right on the post you wish to respond to like I've done with your post here.  :thumbsup:

As for the 'tunnel vision" yes! I have the same thing. I feel like I've lost the creative side of me to some degree. I played brain teaser type games on the computer to get the juices flowing again. Given time these things should start to clear out. 

Thanks Starbird,

It says you are benzo free since July 2010 and you are STILL having the tunnel vision.  The more I read the more appalled I am.  Shouldn't a doctor who prescribes this poison and does not tell you what can happen when you try to quit taking it be liable to legal action?  That's what happened to me! I could wring the guy's neck for putting me thru this hell and to think I still have 6 to 9 months more of this!  It seems to me if benzos are legal cocaine and heroin should be too!

quote from starbird:

As for the 'tunnel vision" yes! I have the same thing. I feel like I've lost the creative side of me to some degree. I played brain teaser type games on the computer to get the juices flowing again. Given time these things should start to clear out. 

good idea and I think so as well, you must have checked out "brainiac" in the games section.

I used to have post-it notes all over the house which said things like..."let the dog back in"...."make coffee 4 tmw"...."Turn off space heater"..."lock the door"...."check the stove"..."put clothes in dryer"..."fill water dishes"..."start dish washer"...I literally could not remember anything in my daily routine or even what to put on a grocery list (this was after a 3 day detox, not a good idea!).

While I still struggle with really complex cognitive stuff, I can now get through my days without notes all over the place.  Heck, I could not even follow a conversation or a movie in the beginning, so healing has and is definitely happening, it just moves at a snails pace.  Even Pamster (who is completely healed) was a self-decared post-it queen.

Looking at how bad I was compared to now, I am absolutely convinced I will be fine in the end, but in the early days I had my doubts too.  Nothing is scarier than losing your mind!  I've been here a while and have seen peoples posts go from barely comprehensible to extremely clear and intelligent, with a vocabulary that seems to spring out of no where.

I agree with Starbird, exercising your mind can definitely help, it is all about neuroplasticity, our brains make new connections and actually grow when we learn things and actively challenge our memories.

Another thing I have noticed is that even if people have one or two lingering sx's when they decide to post their success stories, they are never cog problems...it is usually things like still having a few floaters or slight tinnitus.  I hope this helps you!

Thanks Starbird,

It says you are benzo free since July 2010 and you are STILL having the tunnel vision.  The more I read the more appalled I am.  Shouldn't a doctor who prescribes this poison and does not tell you what can happen when you try to quit taking it be liable to legal action?  That's what happened to me! I could wring the guy's neck for putting me thru this hell and to think I still have 6 to 9 months more of this!  It seems to me if benzos are legal cocaine and heroin should be too!

Jim, it's slowly clearing out for me but you have to consider that I took this drug for many years and ended up at a high dose before I cold turkey'd. I did everything wrong with this drug, so it may not be good to judge your progress by mine. Many people heal just fine and in a relatively short time, we just don't hear much from them because they usually don't seek out a forum like this.

Can you do us a favor though... can you make a signature in your profile so we can see your history, that way we can help you better. If you need instructions on this you can refer to this thread - http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.0

Thanks Starbird,

Jim, it's slowly clearing out for me but you have to consider that I took this drug for many years and ended up at a high dose before I cold turkey'd. I did everything wrong with this drug, so it may not be good to judge your progress by mine. Many people heal just fine and in a relatively short time, we just don't hear much from them because they usually don't seek out a forum like this.

Hi Starbird,

I guess your right,  if someone was doing ok they wouldn't be obsessing about their withdrawal and coming here for support.  Thanks for your supportive post!

Can you do us a favor though... can you make a signature in your profile so we can see your history, that way we can help you better. If you need instructions on this you can refer to this thread - http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=9432.0