Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does everyone stabilize before they taper?

[Go...]

My doctor who is not a pdoc is trying to up dose me on my Klonopin to get me stabilized before strting a very slow taper. He helps people all over the country come off psych drugs so I'm trying to trust him. Does everyone stabilize first? What if you can't? Thanks

I guess it depends on our individual definitions of what it means to stabilize, Godsgrace.  I was very symptomatic when I started my taper but was not getting steadily worse so considered myself stable.  Other people seem to define being stable as being mostly symptom free or just mild symptoms that don't bother them much.  I'm sure you'll get a variety of opinions. 

Ask your doctor how many people he's helped to get off benzos. Ask about those other people's experiences. If he has a lot of experience, I'd lean toward trusting him. But ultimately the choice is yours.

He helps people all over the country to taper but some of what he says I think is not true. He says that once he gets everyone stabilized on the correct dose of benzo with no anxiety or symptoms he then has a compounding pharmacy do a 2.5 percent compounding taper. I am having waves now and DP/dr and I'm not even tapering yet. He says if you start out stable the ride down is easier.

Welcome to BB, Godsgrace. I was on ativan so I do not know much about K. But it looks like you are new to BB so I wanted to make sure that you knew about the Ashton Manual that Dr. Ashton wrote to help folks get off of benzos. I followed Dr. Ashton's advice and crossed over to the much longer acting Valium and my taper was much smoother.

Also, it will help others to help you if you go into your profile and provide your dosage history. Just click on your name and your profile will come up. There will be a box in the upper left of your screen that you can click on to update your profile. My history is at the bottom of this note.  God bless.

Hi Klondike, I'm one of those that cannot cross over to V. My doctor is very familiar with benzos. He had a 10 year battle with Valium. I just don't know if I agree with his wanting to increase my K again. He is doing very small increases to get me to stabalize but not sure it's working or will.

[84...]

Hi Klondike, I'm one of those that cannot cross over to V. My doctor is very familiar with benzos. He had a 10 year battle with Valium. I just don't know if I agree with his wanting to increase my K again. He is doing very small increases to get me to stabalize but not sure it's working or will.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies. :)

My doctor is very familiar with benzos. He had a 10 year battle with Valium.

Well, does he not know Valium (DiazePAM) and Klonopin (ConazePAM) are in the same family.

To me, really, Klonopin is Valium to a point pretty much and visa versa or whatever.

Apples for Oranges, Oranges for Apples.

Or, is it you cannot tolerate Valium?

As far as your question, yes I stabilized before my taper, on both Klonopin and Valium, BUT I find a certain point in the taper where percentages are useless in ways. Also a point to where you stabilize in the "sense of tolerating it".

That is just my experience.

So Sigma, you've been tittering for 18 months according to your signature line? Do you mind if I ask how you are tapering? Thanks