Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Mucous in throat

[Fr...]

I wonder what can be done for mucous in my throat. I had it so bad yesterday that I found it hard to talk and kept trying to clear my throat. I finally coughed so hard trying to get it up that I threw up.

I'd prefer having a runny nose which is what I used to have but this is horrible. I suspect that it's from sinus running down the back of my throat. Any opinions or advice would be appreciated.

Frannie

You might try Mucinex (Guaifenesin).  I used it several times back when I was tapering.  I still have trouble with excess mucous, but have had to just get used to it (drink lots of water, cough/spit when I have to).  I became hyper-sensitive to most meds and supplements a few months after I finished my taper.  Now I only take a few that I know don't cause a reaction.

Benadryl might help too (that's one of the few meds that I can still take), especially if your symptoms are allergy related.  My allergies got much worse towards the end of my taper (and even worse several months after the taper ended).  It might be what you're experiencing. 

Mike

Since i started my withdrawal in April i have had mucous in my nose and chest it gets quite bad sometimes i cough and wheeze.  My doctor prescribed Otrivine nasal spray and this helps to clear it out of my nose but my chest is no better. :sick:

Thank you for your replies. I guess I'm not alone in this. I'm afraid to take any medications even over the counter as I've become very sensitive. I did a search on mucos and found an interesting post that we have Gaba receptors in our GI track. I've been having musos bowel movements for a couple of days every time I eat and think that's what is going on with me. I'm feeling better today but can feel some of it coming back in my throat.

Frannie

I didnt know that could be a w/d symptom. That's crazy. I've had TERRIBLE mucous issues for about 3 weeks now. There was one time where my voice changed b/c of it being so thick in my vocal chords.

It's getting better now. Hope you are doing better. =) I'm still having to clear my throat a bit, and my sneezes have been SO powerful too that I almost gag... and this thick mucous comes up. It's gross I know... but never thought about it being possible benzo w/d. Thanks for the information!

It can be hard to tell too b/c it's allergy season for me as well, but I never used to have bad allergy issues until after benzo use/ and w/d. Love the Fall just hate the mold spores and stuff!

Get well!!! =) You'll be great!

Learning new things here about every day! My colorectal surgeon asked me if I normally have a lot of mucous down at the south end. I told him no but I was taking the stool softeners for the surgeries so maybe that was it. Never dawned on me it was the Xanax withdrawal. I have a bit of increased congestion in my nose and throat too. just one more symptom.

I’m in my 14th month off now and have noticed a lot more drainage in the past 2 or 3 weeks. My chest gets congested when I sleep and I wake up coughing. It is accompanied by that “choking” feeling in the throat - not really painful just annoying. These are s/x I haven’t had to this point. I’m believing that they represent a new phase of my healing and indicate that my body is getting closer to the goal. It’s been quite a ride so far - never know what will be around the next turn.

eli

I've been about 8 to 9 months into this when I started having mucous in my throat. I've been wondering if this is w/d related. I have a hard time talking. I thought that it was allergies. Maybe it is... maybe it isn't. Hmmm... I guess all you can do is take a decongestant.

Thank you for all your replies. cnotr thank you for telling me to be well, you also. I've seen several posts about mucous before. This was the worst that I've ever had but it's gone now. Hopefully it won't come back. Thank Heaven's for BB as it helps us to talk to each other and know that it's WD and will eventually go away. We will win the fight against the benzos.  :oXo:

Frannie

• 3 months later...

I was searching for posts on mucous and found my old thread. I couldn't remember it that's for sure as I have benzo brain.  :idiot:

I'm off since December December 5 and the mucous in my throat seems to come and go. It was really bad this morning and I had to cough and cough and finally got some up. It would be interested in reading if anybody had it and it left.

Frannie

Since I'm to the point where I'm having more good days than bad, I've noticed a definite correlation to the congestion and waves. Not even a clue as to why but in a wave I have congestion in my nose and throat.

I am 15 months out and I still get the mucous bad when I am in a wave. On my window days it is much better. I did not realize that this was so common in withdrawl. I don't have allergies so it has to be a w/s.

Rain

hello Frannie,

Congratulations again on being benzo free. I get the mucus in the throat and coughing doesn't seem to clear it. I have found that using a dry mouth lozenge helps. It helps me not need to cough or clear my throat. I'm happy to hear it has gone away. I'm posting to you some information on this.

I am the type of person who seeks to know what is happening and why, it brings comfort to me. I hope it does the same for you.

“The Accidental Addict” by Di Poritt & Di Russell, 2006

Throat

“Throat symptoms affect only a few people. For those who do suffer, the most common problem is a recurring mild sore throat. ‘Gunky’ throats which have to be cleared all the time with an ‘er-hem’ sort of cough are also experienced. Throat pain and ulcers take the joy out of eating. Repeated dry, scratchy throats make people think they have developed allergies. The most worrying symptom is a sensation of choking- people panic when they feel they cannot swallow.”

Love to you,

Summer :smitten: