Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

c/t success stories.

[de...]

Right off the top of my head there is Pamster, ByByMatrix, and Kenneth. You may want to check out their success stories if you already haven't.  There are many others too.

When it comes to the healing timeline from a cold turkey, you have to take certain factors into consideration.

The point of tapering is that it allows the body to heal as there is less and less of the benzos in the system.  If someone does a cold turkey and it takes 16 months to heal... that is 16 full months of healing.  If that same person tapered over 6 months.... and was healed in 10 months, that is still 16.  Of course there are the exceptions where someone who ct'd recovers in 4 months and someone who did a slow taper is still in withdrawal 24 months out, but I think those are the least likely scenarios.  Regardless, the type of alterations that benzo use causes is reversible damage, so healing is inevitable even for those in protracted withdrawal.

I think that the general healing time is about the same for people who taper and cold turkey.  The main difference is that the symptoms are a lot more tolerable in a taper than in a cold turkey, as your body can adjust to the changes slowly.  Also there may be an increased risk to end up in protracted withdrawal (beyond 18 months) after a cold turkey.

I'm on Day 24 of a c/t and I'd give anything to heal quickly. Heck, I'd give anything to just feel better. Unfortunately, at about Day 16 I got hit by a wave of emotion and anxiety and it has yet to subside. All I can do is hang on!

I wish you success and quick healing!

Tucson

Me on Day 24 of a c/t:  :idiot:

Not sure my story qualifies but my taper lasted 4 days!

I was suffering so badly after the third day that I decided to jump and get it over with. I have a low tolerance for pain and I was ready to start my healing. Besides, I had experienced interdose withdrawal so I thought "what is the worse that could happen?"

I had horrible sxs after I jumped but they lasted approx. 10 days. Thereafter I had weeks of windows! My next wave came at months 2.75, which I considered my "protracted withdrawal" period. During this period of withdrawal, I did not have to deal with all of the sxs I had after I jumped and those they returned were much less intense and tolerable.

Now, I am feeling great and I would rate my healing at 95%. I have been benzo and ambien free for 3.75 and 5 months, respectively. I have no intentions of having any more protracted/rebound withdrawals - I just don't claim it! What is left is very mild anxiety that causes some heart palps but that is subsiding as well. I notice that the anxiety I feel now is very mild and tolerable.

Take care,

Lida

I don't know if my experience hold a lot of water as I was only on Xanax .25mg X 3 a day for three months. I started having withdrawals between doses and thought I was having a nervous breakdown and the Xanax was the only thing keeping me sane. Once I realized it was the Xanax causing the problem, I quit c/t. First few days were really rough. Following month to six weeks were bad with many days missed from work and when I did work I rarely finished the day. I thought about ending it many times. I was miserable and I was very irrational in my thoughts. It's been three months and a couple of days since c/t and I'm fully functional now with very mild withdrawal waves in comparison. I'm thinking in another month I'll be back to my version of normal. A somewhat nervous, anxious and worrisome kinda guy. I won't claim to be healed until I get a good couple of weeks without waves but I can live with this until it passes. I'm very glad to be alive now! Hang in there guys and gals. You'll get past the worst of it and then it's tolerable. I wish everyone a fast recovery.

Hello  :)

I did do a c/t and can Honestly say Im healed .It does happen and I was in Grave state for way long.

I say taper nice and slow is the best way,C/T Is just way to much shock to the brain and CNS, But over time everything is restored to its natural state. ;) It took a full 15 months for full healing

~Jenny

[ef...]

I ctd about six months ago, and after 5 months of hell, I am finally feeling like my old self.  I had over 15 symptoms during those months, and all have subsided. 

I am hesitant to post any kind of success story though.  Six months is still early on for a ct withdrawal, and I fully expect there to be a few more bumps in my road.  I guess my point is,  two months ago I thought I was dying.  Now I feel like I might be ok after all. 

Im fully committed to posting my own success story, but refuse to do so until I have felt like my old self for at least six months.  Hang in there guys. I know that this feels impossible, but I assure you, it will all go away.

Much love,

Fieldychan

• 11 months later...
27 months free from a CT, and i am still not completly healed. i still have several lingering symptoms. Though i am excercising again. I also took on some work recently. But I continue to struggle through my days. It sometimes becomes really hard to get through a work day. but its good because ever since i have been working time has been going by much quicker. I am still really sensative to everything. And still dealing with food sensativity(strong), skin sensativity(Medium), burning skin(medium), still cannot go above 150lbs(weight),light cog fog(sometimes), tight face(sometimes) light DR(sometimes),Chemical sensativity(strong). and a few more. I really hope to turn a corner soon. I read alot of storries about people turning corners at/around 30 months(2.5 years).  -Jacob

anyone know of others who have c/t and healed quickly?  do all who c/t take a long time to heal?

I'm 17months off and while I wouldn't say it went quickly I am on the other side.

Best wished to all on this path,

M