Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hi- Tapering off Xanax per Ashton

[sl...]

Hi-

Here is my back story...In Aug of '04 I had what was diagnosed as a mild stroke while leaving work one night...The initial MRI showed some bruising on my brain stem which went away, leaving no permanent physical damage...However, I began having frequent episodes of dizziness and sudden bouts of light headedness...After many weeks of tests, blood work, EEGs, another MRI and God knows how many drugs, my neurologist decided that I was experiencing Anxiety and Panic disorder and sent me to a shrink, who started me on Xanax around Jan '05 and (over time) various SSRIs...The one constant was the Xanax (1mg 3x daily "as needed") Which, I must admit made it easier for me to deal with the attacks and allowed me to go back to work...

Anyway, after several years on Xanax (eventually lowering the dosage to 1/2mg 2-3x a day) I wound up having to leave my job since the symptoms never went away...I went to a few different docs, thinking that maybe something from the stroke was overlooked...Thanks to another neurologist, he told me to quit the Xanax and started me on Klonopin...BIG mistake...My symptoms went into overdrive within a few weeks...(BTW, a follow up MRI showed no problems)...I then started to do my own research and found this site as well as a few others...I started realizing that what was happening to me was not uncommon...

I stopped the Klonopin (1/2 mg 2x daily for 3 months) and continued the Xanax until I could stabilize...I have been seeing a new shrink who has started me on Valium which I am using to taper off the Xanax...So far, the symptoms have let up quite a bit, but I know I have a long way to go...I look forward to getting any advice and experiences anyone here can offer...

Hi Sloaches! Welcome to BB! Congrats on getting your taper started. How is your taper going so far? I am glad to hear you have found a Dr to help you with your taper. What dose of Valium and Xanax are you on right now? I am glad to hear your symptoms have improved, that is great. Let us know what specific questions you may have and we will do our best to help. You will find lots of great support here, glad you found us.

Hey Sloaches,

Welcome to BenzoBuddes! I'm happy to see you're doing a cross over to Valium. Xanax can be pretty rough to come off of, because of how short acting it is. Are you looking to taper off Valium once you're fully crossed over? We're all here for you, so ask any questions you have. I'm glad you found us.