Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Twice per day or three times per day? - Valium

[ch...]

Hi guys

Almost complete with the c/o to valium, will be holding for 2 weeks before any reduction.

When my bf starts to cut his dosage, is it advisable to eventually take out the afternoon dose as the Ashton Manual says...........or does he cut some off the morning and afternoon, leave the night time dose until last so is still taking it three times per day?

Any suggestions why the Ashton Manual says to do it this way or is three times per day better, more stable?

Chig x

If he wants, he can keep the evening dose if it helps him with sleep. I don't think Valium needs to be separated throughout the day, because of its long half life.

Actually when I crossed over from 3-4 mg Ativan which I was taking at night only for sleep (which was the source of the problems I was experiencing the other 16 hours a day as I was having interdose w/d), once I c/o'd I also only took the 40 mg valium @ night because I too believed that the long half life would cover me for 24 hours until my next dose.  However, I discovered that my mornings and days were especially challenging even tho there was no comparison to the Ativan days and nights.  So I posted the question (can't find it now) to get opinions on dosing 1x or 2x or 3 x a day, what would be the difference?  I also started taking 5 mg in the morning when I first woke up and the difference was significant (on the positive side)

So as a result of the post, someone wrote that in addtion to there being a "half-life" there is also something called "duration of action" and that in the case of valium they were two seperate things.  It means that although Valium has a half life of 200 hours or so, the actual duration of action is only between 10-12 hours.  I can't explain exactly why that is or what it actually means except to say that after 10-12 hours, the effects seem to diminish so in a way it is basically a similar form of interdose w/d, but not nearly, for me anyway, as bad as that with Ativan.

So in a nutshell, I took the largest percentage @ night and then 5 mg in the a.m.  There have also been times where I have something I have to attend in the evening and would take another 5 mg before the event and then cut that from my nighttime dose for that day.  My understanding (not scientific by any means) is that if you keep the dosage level during the 24 hour period, you should be ok, so if for example you are on 20 mg and take 5 mg in the am and 15 mg @ night, or 5 mg in the a.m. and 5 mg in the evening and 10 mg @ night, you are still taking the same 20 mg within that 24 hour period.  

All I can say is the difference from going from taking 1 dose a day to 2 doses a day was significant.  Hope that helps

That was a really good explanation WWW. :thumbsup: Yes, as long as it's an equal amount in a 24 hour period, you can spread it out at different times of the day and in more that 1-2 doses.

I think for each individual (different metabolisms) and each benzo (different half-life, duration of action) you have to kind of play around with it to feel whats right for you--just make sure you are keeping track so you don't accidentally up-dose.

Hope that helps chiggy

Thanks for posting that information, WiseWoman  :thumbsup: You learn something new everyday.

It's actually a testament to the boards and all of you who keep things running smoothly since it is here where I've learned everything I know.  So thank you!

That was a really good explanation WWW. :thumbsup: Yes, as long as it's an equal amount in a 24 hour period, you can spread it out at different times of the day and in more that 1-2 doses.

I think for each individual (different metabolisms) and each benzo (different half-life, duration of action) you have to kind of play around with it to feel whats right for you--just make sure you are keeping track so you don't accidentally up-dose.

Hope that helps chiggy

Your "thumbs up" made my day on a day when I really needed a lift. Thank you.

Thank you WWW :) I really appreciate you explaining that to us  :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:smitten: Chig xx

Anytime Chig.  And you deserve all the credit in the world for being such an incredible support to your b/f.