Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What do YOU do when you are in a WAVE?

[Ho...]

Just wondering about this - when any of you go into a WAVE - what do you do?  Do you just sit down and wait for it to pass or do you push yourself to do something....i.e., housework, wash the car, take a walk? 

I am having trouble figuring out how much I should do when I get run down my a wave?  A friend in the UK says to take it easy during a wave as that is when your body needs to rest and heal.  But I have found that I have pushed myself in a wave and other times just laid on the couch - either way - I felt miserable and felt that pushing myself just makes things worse.  Is there an answer to this?  Or do we all just muddle through and do what feels right?  Do we really have any control over the windows and waves?  somestimes, I feel that I can push myself into a window by being around others and distracting.  Other times, I try that and nothing happens - I am just miserable in front of everybody. 

Sometimes when I am in a window I go all out and do whatever I want - and other times, I just stay at home and read or do quiet things and guess what - the darn wave comes on anyway.  Is there anything we can do to help ourselves through these waves as some of them are quite brutal.  The only thing I can be sure of is no matter how much I am enjoying my windows, I know what is subsequently waiting for me. Can't wait till I have a window and wait and wait and wait for that wave to come along and it doesn't happen!!!!  Yes - what a wonderful day that will be!

Thanks for listening....and if you have thoughts about any of this, let me know....  Love Hoping2BFree

Hi Hoping,

I find that distraction works best for me while in a wave.  When I was first off benzos I had a couple of weeks that I had to lay around mostly.  Since then I have been teaching and haven't missed a single lesson until today. I have a crushing headache, I think its the pressure stuff and some nausea.  I had a really busy week last week and out of town guests this weekend.  I also was wondering if all the extra activity brought it on, but you know, I believe it might have happened anyway.

I also make really good use of my windows for all sorts of fun things, and rejoice in the enjoyment.

Here's to much longer windows,

pianogirl

Hoping2Bfree,

For me, and I know this is simplistic, I drink water like crazy, as much as I can stand in as short a period of time as is practical, for me it really helps with the dizziness, cog fog and sometimes even the headaches, but it generally gives me a calming feeling overall

good luck,

LK

I do find that distraction helps when I'm having an anxious type of wave. Sometimes I have more of a tiredness, so I try to pace myself, even in my windows so that I don't over do it. I'd not heard about drinking lots of water LK, it sounds like a good idea too.

I think that sometimes we just have to lie about for it's impossible to do otherwise. I'm extremely dizzy today and afraid if I walk about I will fall. I do like to sit on the back deck but not in the direct sunlight and that seems to help me.

Frannie

I just went through a wave that was so intense and long-lasting (four days!) that I'd call it a tsunami! It tended to come and go over the four days, but mostly it was coming and not going. I just did the best I could to relax and ride it out. I'd go back to my office (where I am now) and kick back on a small couch I have in here. It's quiet and it's comforting, so being back here away from everything kind of helped.

I hope you have more windows than waves!

Tucson

Me on Day 21 of a "reinstated c/t":  :o

Frannie and Tucson - thanks for your comments - that is what I do in a wave as I am just not able to do much else.  Although last Thursday while in a wave I got my haircut - tough....then on Friday I had an appt for a mammogram and was going to cancel it but said to myself - "no just get through this."  and so I did.  Still in a wave I went to my son's house to unpack some boxes from a move and lo and behold I went into a window for Fri night and most of Saturday - but oh boy - Sunday came and I was down for the count - was on the couch both Sun and Mon and so sick.....I am just starting to come back today.  Next wave, I don't think I will push myself at all....just ride it out. 

Thanks again for commenting - just want to help myself and don't know which is the right way to go during a wave....

Love Hoping

I posted wondering what other people do as well.  Whenever I am in a wave which usually lasts several days I'm pretty much a vegetable.  I know people talk about distraction and meditation, etc. but I just can't figure out how to make it work.  I am of the belief that waves will come regardless if you push yourself or not.  It is just part of the process.  Eventually (hopefully!) everything will work its way out and you won't have to worry about what you do, or what you eat and drink.  Funny you mentioned getting a haircut.  I am at the tail end of my latest wave and that is what I just got back from doing right now. 

P.S.  I talked to a guy the other day who said he had a stomack bug for 4 days and thought he was going to die.  I felt like saying, "Yeah, that sounds tough.  I have felt like I was dying for 8 months straight.  Wanna trade?"

During my waves, I push through it. Going back to work really helped speed up my healing. I work in a large office and there are so many people around to distract me it is almost therapeutic (strange, I know).

I also like to watch shows where other people's drama distract me (Real Housewives franchise; Survivor, Amazing Race). Watching other people cope with their daily stresses remind me that my issues are temporary and will be in my rear view mirror soon.

Take care,

Lida

Hoping, Thanks for this thread, it makes me feel like I'm not alone. I always do drink lots of water, don't know if it helps or not but I have water by my side when I'm on my computer and when watching TV. I do try to watch easy things on TV, Waltons last night and Saturday afternoon I watched Tarazan.  :) Tarazan was surprisingly relaxing, watching he and Jane swim in the water and all the beautiful scenery. The old movies are really good, not brutal.

Eileen

I agree with Kristen - Lida you do have a great attitude.  I'd love to go back to work and be distracted but I don't know how I would handle it when in a wave....I am so wobbly, cry, nauseous, shaking...how do you do it? 

Thanks to all of you for commenting....we really ARE going to get better, aren't we?  My mind is my worst enemy - I constantly doubt that I will heal, even though I am getting windows.  I really wonder what windows are - I've been getting them almost since the beginnning and it has now been one year and I am getting MORE of them and just hope that means something positive is happening.  But the waves seem to take any bit of confidence I have and drown it.....Thanks again.

Love Hoping

Hoping I know what you mean about each wave they just exhaust me and it takes so much to bring myself back up to speed.  I have been doing pretty well lately but have to go get my daughter in St. Louis today and it has brought on a wave of anxiety and dr/dp.  I just want this over and live normally again.  We WILL make it Hoping!!!

Hugs

Kristin

a good question. for me it doesn't seem to mater what you do before , during or after a wave. they seem to come and go on there own schedule. another example of how everyone is different. 

I'm in one right now, unfortunately!  I take the time to remind myself "withdrawal takes as long as it takes!" and go really, really easy on myself. I really try not to push too hard but stay as active as I can. I also re-read "Benzo Wise" which I take great comfort in. I must have read through it 20 times now.

Hello Kristen and hope, thank you for responding to my post.

I have to admit, after I jumped I had several days (close to ten days) of pure hell! I did not want to get out of bed, eat, wash up, clean or leave the house. I would sit near the window and wait for my husband to get home - hated to be alone. I was fortunate because my company allowed me to work from home until I felt able to come into the office. I prayed around the clock. I googled the internet and stumbled across clips from an old Dr. Phil show that was relative to my situation. I wanted so badly to be my oldself. Then one morning, I woke up with the urge to get up, get dressed and go to into the office - it came out of nowhere! It was the most amazing accomplishment of this entire journey. Initially it was uncomfortable because people stared at my dramatic weight loss and fatigued appearance. They kept asking if I was okay and I would have to give these abbreviated explanations so as to not let them know my whole story. Finally, I just did not care, I did not care how they looked at me, I just pushed through! Soon, days turned into weeks and weeks into 3 months and the next thing you know I started feeling alive again. I have not had one anxiety attack at work, I have not felt weak or unable to make it through the day.

I have gained the weight back and I have never looked healthier. I have been to sporting events, parties, and my husband and I hang out at the drive-in every Friday (so peaceful). Time heals these wounds but facing the fear works too! Claim victory and not defeat, you will be amazed at what you will accomplish!

Take care,

Lida

I had a rough afternoon so around five I went to bed and started deep breathing, fell asleep and woke feeling somewhat better. I guess we just have to go with what we have. I think that acceptance is a big thing and try not to worry about it, which is easier said than done.

Frannie