Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

They are not all bad!!

[pi...]

Hi all,

I have to say I am very distrustful of the medical community like many of you are. I have done my share of venting about the wrongs done to me over the past 3 years. 

I had to go to the rehab doctor today to have my shoulder checked 7 months post surgery to repair a torn bicep tendon and tears in rotator cuff. I also had cervical fusion 2 years ago and they needed to check my progress. I really did not want to go because although I have pain, I do think its from withdrawal and not the surgeries. Not feeling well this am did not help.  Plus the fact that I let every doctor I see know what I am going through right up front.

I go now to a large teaching hospital and today saw the head of the department.  After I told him I was going through benzodiazpine withdrawal, he told me, "say no more, I know exactly how bad it is". He said it is a terrible epidemic and as an educator he constantly talks to medical students about benzos.  He tells them that the hardest thing they'll ever do is to try to get patients off of benzos.  He is very anti drug except for life threatening conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. His wife is a pharmacist and they are both active in trying to change the trend of overmedicating.

We both agreed to do nothing about the pain and wait it out.

I thanked him asked him to please keep working at getting the  word out to the future doctors so others might not need to suffer as we have.

So there are some that get it! Even though my sxs are bad, I did feel better after the appointment.

pianogirl :)

Thank you Pianogirl...your post just made my day!

It's a great reminder for us all...there are some wonderful doctors out there.  I'm so happy for you that you were able to have a positive experience today!!!

All the best,

Schatje

pianogirl,

Wow, that's beautiful!  I would have cried right on the spot, just having someone so knowledgeable from the medical community validate my journey.  Thanks for sharing!  One more educated, responsible doctor ~ hooray!  Love, Sophia

Thanks so much pianogirl! I needed to hear that. Had my worst experience at a teaching hospital and so disappointed they didn't have a clue. I have often thought of writing to the director because of it. You encouraged me to do that!

amb

I go now to a large teaching hospital and today saw the head of the department.  After I told him I was going through benzodiazpine withdrawal, he told me, "say no more, I know exactly how bad it is". He said it is a terrible epidemic and as an educator he constantly talks to medical students about benzos.  He tells them that the hardest thing they'll ever do is to try to get patients off of benzos.  He is very anti drug except for life threatening conditions like diabetes and high blood pressure. His wife is a pharmacist and they are both active in trying to change the trend of overmedicating.

I do not think all Psychiatrists' or Doctors' are bad because I have seen many, many upon many and many of them were Anti-Benzo, and said "NO"...

I used to Doctor Shop to get my Klonopin (Clonazepam) just in case one doctor did not give it to me.

Only if I had listened to my first Psychiatrist.. I would not be in this mess, as she believed in nature walks and other coping tips for my Schizophrenia and so called, "Panic chaos disorder".

I dropped her because I was looking for a nerve pill. Ironically today, wish I never seen a Nerve Pill... Oh, I got one alright, but now I wish I had never seen one!

I should have stayed with my first Psych.

She seen the beauty in nature, dolphins, trees, animals, coloring, deep breathing, meditation, oceans, shapes, and so on...

Thanks Piano.

*I do not think all Doc's are bad*

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for responding.  I really need to know that perhaps things will be better for others in the future.  Even a little hope is better than none at all.

Sig, I want all of us to see the beauty around us , swim with dolphins, enjoy the fall colors etc.  We will, I have to believe it.

pianogirl :smitten:

Sig, I want all of us to see the beauty around us , swim with dolphins, enjoy the fall colors etc.  We will, I have to believe it.

Yes you will.

Everything will come back.

Hang in there.

:smitten:

Every once in a while, we hear about a doctor like the one you posted about.  I am so thankful that there are some of them out there - but why does HE know about benzos, but all the other doctors do not?  How can that be?  Was he just listening closely in class while the others were sleeping?  WHY does he know?  Very curious.

Hoping2BFree