Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dislocated my shoulder - absolutely terrified

[da...]

Hi all,

I'm about 6 months out from a c/t off a low dose of xanax after taking it for 7-8 weeks, and I have not been doing well.  For the last 6 weeks or so I ihave been in a really deep, deep depression and still cannot sleep well at all.

Last night playing softball I dislocated my shoulder.  I am absolutely terrified I will need surgery or some other treatment that requires meds.  I refuse to take any type of pills, but if I tore something and have to have surgery and have to have meds I do not know what I will do.

There is no way I want to go backwards in this process, I am so terrified i am trembling. 

I am going to go to the clinic this morning to get an x ray.  My life is so terrible right now. 

One more note,

The only thing getting me through this is my 6 day a week workout schedule, which includes lifting alot of weights and running about 15 miles a week.  If I cannot do that anymore, I do not know how I will get through the rest of this recovery.  That is all I have right now, I cling to it b/c it is my escape, without it I do not know what i'll do.

Also, do pain killers interupt benzo recovery, please advise.

Thank you.

There are ways to exercise even through an injury. I'd suggest you see a trainer who can give you an idea of what's safe and what's not. It could be that you'll only be able to do cardio for a few weeks.

Try to take things one day at a time... Dont get yourself all worked up, as this is also how the mind plays with us durring withdrawal...Rememeber that usually what we worried about doesnt even come to pass. Please, one day at a time. you will be fine....

Bobby..

I can't agree with Hope more. You can find activities with help of a professional that use your legs and work on the cardio. It is tough for active people to stop exercising so if possible don't stop.  There are other ways of doing it, so you can substitute another exercise and still get the workout and benefits you need.

Even if the shoulder doesn't need surgery, take good care of it, so it can heal. All the soft structures around joints need time and good care.

Hope it goes well for you.

Thanks for the replys.  I went to the urgant care this morning and had x rays.  The shoulder is in the right spot and there were no bone chips so that was good news. 

I did take the opportunity to ask the dr. her opinion on protracted withdrawl from drugs like xanax.  I got a blank stare.  All she was familiar with was acute withdrawl.  I told her I have been off 5 months and am still struggling and she was in dis belief. 

Looks like i'm going to have to find other ways to excersize, maybe go for a hike or something.

Excellent news about not needing surgery and knowing the bones are all in the right places.

Unfortunately, not too surprising about dr. not knowing about zanax. How many times have I read this here? However congratulations on telling her. You might be the first person she has heard it from but you might not be the last.

Good luck with finding other exercise. I know that for lots of people it is really helpful to find another sport or physical activity. It can help keep you doing things you like. It also seems to help people a bit from being tempted to go back to the activity they really want to be doing. Hope you are getting some good physio to keep the shoulder healing.