Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

is it true that caffeine makes withdrawal worse?

[Ih...]

Caffeine DEFINITELY aggravates my sx's.  Horrible, horrible, horrible.  Did I mention how horrible caffeine ramps me up? LOL!  Yeah, I'd stay away from all caffeinated beverages until you are healed.  Your body will thank you!

this sucks so much...i love caffeine :smitten: its like..theres so many things in life that are affected by this withdrawal. i have been so irritable.

My only issue with caffeine is that my body doesn't process it fast enough. They say that the half life depends on the person and I happen to be the kind of person who still feels it more than 12 hours later. Wouldn't be such a big deal if I were able to enjoy a couple of alcoholic beverages before bed but that of course brings its own set of problems.

For me - absolutely.  I think there's a range though and I'm on the end that is hyper-sensitive to any stimulants.  Other people seem to tolerate them well (jealous as I love love love all things coffee/tea and chocolate). 

Ihart, I love coffee too. I don't know if this would work for you, but I drink decaffeinated hazelnut coffee with milk in it. I know, I know, people will say there is caffeine in it and there is, but it is a small amount and has not bothered me. You can try it and see, maybe it won't rev up your symptoms.  :)

Oh-Oh....Cheated and drank a Doctor Pepper with lunch today.  Enjoyed every

drop and it took my blues away.  Sometimes some caffeine jolt is just what some

need whether we suffer WD's, or not. :)

Cheating and breaking a little so-called rule on yourself is A-Ok. Not into GUILT

TRIPS.

[31...]
Oh-Oh....Cheated and drank a Doctor Pepper with lunch today.  Enjoyed every

drop and it took my blues away.  Sometimes some caffeine jolt is just what some

need whether we suffer WD's, or not.

Lucky!

I used to be a major CAFFEIND and would drink up to 12 sodas a day and coffee, Starbucks coffee, Monster Energy drinks, Redline, fitness supplements, and all sorts of stuff.  I quit this long-standing 7 year addiction for the 3rd and maybe final time.  I was up for 4 or 5 days at a time before I quit the caffeine and during some of the caffeine withdrawals.  When I was over the caffeine, I started doing a lot better and haven't gone back since.

I can't say that I've noticed any difference having or not having caffine has had on me.  In fact, I'm rather positive it has absolutely zero effect, except to help wake me up a little when I'm having a hard time.

In doing some research I found this on wiki regarding drug interactions with benzos -

Avoidance of or reduction in caffeine intake is sometimes recommended due to reports of it worsening withdrawal symptoms and its stimulatory properties.[3] Interestingly, at least one animal study has shown some modulation of the benzodiazepine site by caffeine which produces a lowering of seizure threshold.

:(