Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Withdrawing from Zopiclone (Lunesta?)... any help or advice please?

[li...]

Hello there.

I have been on Zopiclone (Lunesta) for 5 months. The dosage was 7.5, cut down to 3.75.  Last night was the first night without any. Although I am already on Mirtazapine (Remeron) and Serequol, which should techincally help me sleep, I really only got about 4 hours very very broken sleep. With really vivid dreams. It was horrible. Today I feel shaky and of course drained.  My G.P was really unsupportive through this, and all the professionals I have spoke to say it is all in my head and you cannot get withdrawal or addiction from this pill.  They are also refusing to renew my prescription, but in a way it's the best thing for me as I so want to be free of this horrid white pill for good.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me? How long will withdrawal last, or is it just in my head? Has anyone come out the otherside to live the tail?  It's very scary for me and I have to go it alone.  :-\

Cheers everyone x x

Hi Lilhazel,

Congrats on being Lunesta free  :thumbsup:

Most doctors really have no idea when it comes to withdrawal, do they?

I'm afraid I don't have any experience with tapering Zopiclone, but hopefully a buddie who does will be along soon to offer you some tips and support.

Hang in there, okay?

[bf...]

Benzodiazepines, 1 Half-life (hrs), 2 [active metabolite] Approximately Equivalent Oral dosages (mg), 3 Market Aim, 4

Alprazolam ( Xanax ) 6-12 0.5 anxiolytic, 4

Bromazepam ( Lexotan ) 10-20 5-6 anxiolytic, 4

Chlordiazepoxide ( Librium ) 5-30 [36-200] 25 anxiolytic, 4

Clobazam ( Frisium ), 5 12-60 20 anxiolytic, anticonvulsants, 4

Clonazepam ( Klonopin, Rivotril ), 5 18-50 0.5 anxiolytic, anticonvulsants, 4

Clorazepate ( Tranxene ) [36-200] 15 anxiolytic, 4

Diazepam ( Valium ) 20-100 [36-200] 10 anxiolytic, 4

Estazolam ( ProSom ) 10-24 1-2 hypnotic, 4

Flunitrazepam ( Rohypnol ) 18-26 [36-200] 1 hypnotic, 4

Flurazepam ( Dalmane ) [40-250] 15-30 hypnotic, 4

Halazepam ( Paxipam ) [30-100] 20 anxiolytic, 4

Ketazolam ( Anxon ) 30-100 [36-200] 15-30 anxiolytic, 4

Loprazolam ( Dormonoct ) 6-12 1-2 hypnotic, 4

Lorazepam ( Ativan ) 10-20 1 anxiolytic, 4

Lormetazepam ( Noctamid ) 10-12 1-2 hypnotic, 4

Medazepam ( Nobrium ) 36-200 10 anxiolytic, 4

Nitrazepam ( Mogadon ) 15-38 10 hypnotic, 4

Oxazepam ( Serax, Serenid D ) 4-15 20 anxiolytic, 4

Prazepam ( Centrax ) [36-200] 10-20 anxiolytic, 4

Quazepam ( Doral ) 25-100 20 hypnotic, 4

Temazepam ( Restoril, Normison, Euhypnos ) 8-22 20 hypnotic, 4

Triazolam ( Halcion ) 2 0.5 hypnotic, 4

"Non"-benzodiazepines with similar effects 1, 6

Zaleplon (Sonata) 2 20 hypnotic, 4

Zolpidem ( Ambien, Stilnoct ) 2 20 hypnotic, 4

Zopiclone ( Zimovane, Imovane ) 5-6 15 hypnotic, 4

Eszopiclone ( Lunesta ) 6-9 3 hypnotic, 4

I am just riding this out now. Today is harder than yesterday.  I feel really crappy.

Some doctors need more understanding of this drug. Even though it's not a benzo it cant technically have the same

problems (i think??).  When I told my g.p about how bad this had become (the dependence), he told me to just stop them

and take a herbal sleeping pill instead. I was sent away with half my dose and that was that. 

I see my psychiatrist on the 12th, I hope he will be a bit more supportive and understanding about the problems this drug can cause. I am so mad at myself for starting them.

I can't tell you how relieved I am to find this place though.  Thank you everyone xx

Hi Lilhazel,

I was on Zopiclone (7.5mg per night) for 4 years and stopped taking them 2 weeks ago. I found the first few days the most difficult, mainly because I was struggling to get any sleep at all, but I have seen improvements since then, so hang on in there you may well be through the worst. I'm still struggling to sleep through the night, I now get a few hours sleep, then have to get up for a while, then I can usually go back to sleep for a few hours. But to be honest I had been on Zopcilone for so long, it wasn't working very well and my sleep wasn't much better with Z than it is now without it. It was just the initial few nights that were difficult.

I've been relatively lucky I think and not suffered from major withdrawal symptoms, just tiredness and headaches from the lack of sleep. The benefits are huge, I feel my mind is clearing and coming out from a deep fog. And I am making plans for the future, whereas before I just felt lethargic and indifferent about everything.

Is Zopiclone a Benzo? The consensus (on BB and from Professor Ashton) is that Z drugs work in a similar way to Benzos and thus the addiction, side effects and withdrawal symptoms are the same. But from my own experience, I haven't been suffering to the extent that a lot of the people on these boards have been following benzo withdrawal. I might be one of the lucky ones, or maybe Z drugs aren't as bad as Benzos. I haven't seen many Zopiclone users on these boards, so I'm not sure what other Zopiclone users' experience are.

Anyway, congratulations on doing so well and taking this action now. I am so annoyed at myself for the number of years I spent relying on Zopiclone. Keep it up and take care.

Dipsy

I quit Ambien cold turkey and while I didn't sleep much for a few weeks, I felt much better not taking it.  The anxiety and nervousness I felt on the drug left and I could finally relax.  Hang in there, it will get better.

hi.i have been on zopiclone for 10 years and its one nasty drug to get off.i am an addict and stuck in a black hole.sorry for not cheering you up!!