Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Withdrawals or am I loosing it?

[Un...]

I just had a hellish night.  This is week 2 of c/t off 10 weeks of Xanax (up to 1mg).

I do not know if I am having withdrawals or if something else is wrong anymore.

Woke up at 1:31am sweating, heart racing and left arm being painful like a pulled muscle.  Took 20mins to calm myself down and what seemed eternity.  Is this anxiety from the Benzo?  I finally slept a few hours and when I woke up my arm still hurts, my feet are heavy, I feel depressed and walking is painful.  The world doesn't look right and I feel dizzy.  Withdrawals or do I need to go check myself in somewhere?  I think im loosing it here.  Day 2 of calling into work.  There is no way in hell I can even get myself to my car!  HELP!

[e4...]

Yes, this is certainly w/d. Are you SURE you want to stick out this C/T? I know you were only on for 10 weeks, but that's long enough to form a dependency and you may suffer intense w/d symptoms for many months to come. There's no way to know. But, what you're experiencing is definately w/d.

If you wanted to reinstate, you should do it ASAP- the further out you get from your last pill, the less likely you will be able to stabilize if you choose to reinstate later. Why not reinstate to a longer acting Benzo and do a sensible taper??

Just a suggestion. If you're committed to riding out the C/T, just know that these symptoms are normal and that you will get through them, but it's going to take time. The suffering from a C/T is immense. I did one from 3mg of K, 1mg of X, and 10mg of Ambien and I was very, very sick for 4 months. I reinstated at 4 months to taper and never got stable...so, now I'm having a horribly rough time tapering as well.

I just wanted to let you know about the time to reinstate (which is usually within 2 weeks to one month) where you have a chance at getting stable, in the event that you were unaware. I hope that you will do whatever you think is best for you.

Hang in there. Things will get better, no matter what you decide to do. It just takes a long time- a lot longer than we'd like.

Much love and healing to you, Nicole

I hate the idea of touching those evil pills again.  Afraid it throws me back. I already had strange symptoms during the time I took the Xanax. It is he'll though.  My body feels drained today. Walking is so hard.  I feel like the ground is pulling me in.  My doctor never told me this could happen.  He doesn't believe that his Xanax could cause any withdrawal and want to put me on zoloft or lexapro right away.  No more pills!

Dear Unr3al:  Welcome to the benzo  horror show. Let me tell you this too shall pass. I did a cold turkey, attempted to taper, but I am a all or nothing kinda a gal. Every time I would attempt to taper I would start taking more, I just dug the hole deeper and deeper. I did switch up the benzos I used tho, I am 5 months out now and starting to feel alot better, have had a 6 day window, where I feel truly alive not just existing. Back to you only being off two days, WOW congrats................I had to take a leave of absence once another time take 2 weeks of vacay. You need to decrease your stress level as much as possible and take care of yourself.  Life gets better. I agree with Lamberfn, be kind to yourself reinstate and taper off.  Brushy

You guys are right.  I suppose if I had a real stroke I woulnt be here typing this. I got an appointment with a psychiatrist tomorrow.  From talking to doctor he doesn't believe the Xanax is doing this.  He says if I didn't take it for two weeks then it isn't it causing this.  I have a feeling that we won't see things on the same level.  I never had this before in my life. You put me on Xanax and all the sudden I turn into an anxiety monster with crazy side effects? At least I sleep between attacks or a few hours.  

These random pains though.  The worst is they come and go in the arm.  I really feel like a lunatic now trying to explain this to my wife.  Gravity is my enemy!

I can't take it again.   I had such bad sides even when taking it.  I technically got better since I quit except now I'm derealized, heavy footed, and crazy anxiety.  But before I had insane tinitus, bright colors, headaches, and random pains in body.  The anxiety is just hard on me now.

I took it for only 10 weeks!!! How can it be kicking me in the face this hard!!?

Hi BB,

You are absolutely in withdrawal.  I feel your pain with the ignorance of these doctors. I was told the same exact thing. Before taking them I believed that only people who abused the medications could go through withdrawal after such short use. I was only on them for 3 months, and know that what I experienced was interdose w/d. That's why you felt so bad on them, and now that you are off c/t you are going to really suffer. You may be able to get away with a more rapid taper if you reinstate. It's up to you how you handle it, but do not doubt yourself that this is withdrawal. You are NOT crazy and you are NOT just sick. When I started doing my research on these drugs and what happens when you take them longer than 2 weeks I was horrified. I think most of us had to take charge of our own health in the wake of doctors trying to convince us to take more pills. My experience is that more pills made me so much worse. Starting AD's can have side effects so if you choose that route just be aware of that. I truly hope you feel better soon. It sounds like your symptoms are awful. Use the support of people here to get through it. Many have amazing insight, and you finally feel like you're not alone! I remember being convinced I had MS when I started experiencing my symptoms while on the medicine. No doctor even acknowledged the possibility it was the benzo. No matter what you decide, just try to make an informed decision by getting muliple perspectives. Do what is right for you and hang on!!!

Thank you for the kind words.  Who do I talk to about what taper is best for me?  I really hate the idea of more of this devil drug but this is hell! How doctors do not tell people about this is criminal. Had I had any idea what this does, I would have never touched it!!  Work is being cool about my issues but I hate being stuck at home. I can't even get myself out of bed.  :-[

I hate to just ask this but does anyone have a estimated time frame to overcome a 10week usage?  I just need something to fight towards since this 2nd week is twice as bad then last week.  I thought as time passes I should start feeling better..not worse.

I just had a hellish night.  This is week 2 of c/t off 10 weeks of Xanax (up to 1mg).

I do not know if I am having withdrawals or if something else is wrong anymore.

Woke up at 1:31am sweating, heart racing and left arm being painful like a pulled muscle.  Took 20mins to calm myself down and what seemed eternity.  Is this anxiety from the Benzo?  I finally slept a few hours and when I woke up my arm still hurts, my feet are heavy, I feel depressed and walking is painful.  The world doesn't look right and I feel dizzy.  Withdrawals or do I need to go check myself in somewhere?  I think im loosing it here.  Day 2 of calling into work.  There is no way in hell I can even get myself to my car!  HELP!

You are not losing it... It is okay.. I am here with you all the way even though I am hurting too

I care about you and your pain.. Please be okay

Luv,

Mishi

Dear Unr3al:  I really wish I had an answer for you on the time frame, but it is very individualized, I was on benzo's for 30 years give or take a few and 5 months out I am feeling pretty good, there are ppl on here that were only on them like you and are still having strong w/d many months after. Take one day at a time and just know we are here for you.  Brushy

[e4...]

Thank you for the kind words.  Who do I talk to about what taper is best for me?  I really hate the idea of more of this devil drug but this is hell! How doctors do not tell people about this is criminal. Had I had any idea what this does, I would have never touched it!!  Work is being cool about my issues but I hate being stuck at home. I can't even get myself out of bed.  :-[

I hate to just ask this but does anyone have a estimated time frame to overcome a 10week usage?  I just need something to fight towards since this 2nd week is twice as bad then last week.  I thought as time passes I should start feeling better..not worse.

I agree w/ Brushy- there is just NO way to know how long it will take you to overcome the w/d's or how long they will be this intense. Usually the first month is the worst for people, although I was an exception to that. I was not AS bad in month 1 and 2 and then got worse in month 3 of my C/T. However, I was on A LOT more drug than you and for A LOT longer.

The fact that you were a short-time user USUALLY plays in your favor as far as healing time and intensity of symptoms is concerned, but there is no guarantee. Sometimes short-term users suffer just as much. There's just no formula or rhyme or reason to the intensity or length of suffering.

I personally wouldn't add anymore pills into the mix. If you felt bad ON the drug, you may want to stay off, IF you can tolerate the w/d. However, if the w/d gets too intense, you should reinstate and taper. No one can make this decision for you, however, I DO know from experience that reinstating late in the game is NOT a good idea. The sooner you reinstate after a C/T, the better chance you have at becoming stable and doing a controlled taper off of the meds. It's up to you. Talk it over w/ your Psych when you see them next and come up w/ a plan. If you're going to reinstate, I'd reinstate to a long-acting drug like Valium and slowly work your way down.

Take a copy of the Ashton Manual w/ you (google: Ashton Manual) when you go to see your Psych so that you have something to show them about w/d and what you're experiencing. What you're going through is REAL. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You have to be your own best advocate in this process. Do what you think is best for you.

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers. Much love and healing, Nicole

You guys are awesome!  It is all so confusing having never really had anxiety like this before.  How counter productive to take someone with a 1 time problem and turn him into a zombie of anxiety and pain.  Stress brought this to me 12 weeks ago and now the stress is over and I get stuck in this.  Worse then just having had the stress. Not fair!

Thank you Woodrowe.

I'm stuck in c\t and was on Xanax. What you said makes sense.  So 8 assume since this is week 2, this might be e hardest yet.  Whatever it takes to get it out!

You might want to dial it back a bit. Sounds extremely rough. I've been there, though, (going a lot slower than Klon C/T this time--about a year's worth of slower) and have some good thoughts for you. Get comfortable, then start thinkng.