Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Acute Pharmacological Withdrawal only 5-28 days? Per Ashton...

[Ju...]

From Ashton:

The acute "pharmacological" benzodiazepine withdrawal syndrome is classically described as lasting 5 to 28 days, with a peak in severity around 2 weeks post-withdrawal, after which most symptoms return to pre-withdrawal levels. The symptom constellation includes symptoms common to all anxiety states, but some features are unusual and considered to be relatively specific to benzodiazepine withdrawal.

I realize everyone's withdrawal is going to be different, but I was hoping that here on day 29 of my withdrawal I'd be better. :laugh:

Just curious as to others' thoughts on this.  I don't think I've seen anyone on these boards that got through w/d in 5-28 days. Am I misinterpreting?

I think she's talking about just the "acute phase" that lasts for the first month, after that I believe it's considered prolonged (protracted) withdrawal syndrome which can last for months. I could be wrong but that's what I believe it to read.

Yes it's confusing.

I remember Dr. Spock's book on child rearing. He said when a colicky baby reached 11 pounds, the colick would subside. Great in theory. My kid was colicky for two years.

Ashton defines the withdrawal period as lasting from 6 to 18 months. Acute withdrawal is related to getting the drug out of the body. Beyond that, withdrawal reflects the body's attempts to restore GABA receptors to their pre-benzo state. Our benzo use causes GABA receptors to adapt to the exogenous benzos; once that happens, they do not bind with the benzo-like neurotransmitters that our bodies make that are so essential to a calm state, sleep, etc.

Protracted withdrawal seems to be linked to long term benzo use and is withdrawal beyond the 6-18 month time frame.

This is my best attempt to address your question based on my own research. Not guaranteeing the accuracy however. There seems to be a lot of misinformation etc. about benzo withdrawal.

yram - from your sig I see you seem to have had a great turn around since getting of NSAIDs -  curious if you attribute all of your improvement to this. 

Also - what are you doing for pain management now?

"Five-twenty-eight days" is yet another statement on addiction issues that can be taken a number of ways.

I was acute for about four months, and wound up returning to Klonopin, at the first a smaller dose than that to which I was accustomed, after six months. A bad point, a bad time. I simply could not be around other ppl, and was being forced to work.

Ashton,  not unlike a couple of cult celebs elevated to subdeity by more than a couple of fanatics I know of, has her good points. She's a lot more useful than ol' Bob and Bill. I am not able to physically do her program,--no liquid K--so I cannot make any kind of final judgement on her ways and means based entirely on my own experience--yet. I'm not dismissing her out of hand, but rather commenting on her being all that there is right now.

Like you, I'm an entirely accidental addict. Think I'm bugged about how a person cannot be expected to twelve-step what has become an almost-entirely physiological deal (there are those who would try, fe real).

IF you can, lay low, draw the shades and up the A/C, and find some puppies to love if you don't have any at the moment.

Peace to you,

julie