Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

SUGAR!!!!!

[Th...]

Does sugar really rev up your s/x because i ate some candy today and now i feel anxious, nervous,fatigued and somebody turned up the volume on my tinnitus! I was in a pretty good window before this now I've taken my afternoon dose 2 hours early!  :-[

Apparently yes it does.

My boyfriend had quite a bit of chocolate last night and this morning his anxiety was definitely worse and he has been fatigued all day!

best of luck, it will ease up though hun x

Chig x

I seem to react to the sugar.  I've tried to stay away from it. Forgot yesterday and it hit me with anxiety and the "electric" burn.  :oops:

Sugar did a number on me early on in wd, I couldn't eat any sugar at all, sometimes even a few spoonfuls of ice cream. After awhile I reintroduced sugar and other foods that I couldn't handle during the acute phase and I'm ok with them all again. It will take a little time but you will be able to tolerate it again.   

Hmm, this is interesting - I wonder if wine, since it has sugar, has the same effect. I've noticed that when I've drank even 1/2 glass before bed I wake up feeling horrible, but it does not seem to happen with other alcohol such as beer.

This is from the Ashton Manual that talks about some food intolerance -

Gastrointestinal symptoms. Gastrointestinal symptoms may be prolonged after withdrawal, usually in people who have a previous history of digestive troubles. Such people may develop apparent intolerance to certain foods, although reliable tests for true food allergy (e.g. antibodies against specific food constituents) are nearly always negative. Nevertheless many sufferers feel that they have damage to the immune system or have developed intestinal candidiasis. There is at present no clear scientific evidence on these topics, though as mentioned before, benzodiazepine receptors are present in the gut and benzodiazepine use or withdrawal may affect immune responses. There is some evidence that chronic hyperventilation provokes the release of histamine (a substance released in allergic reactions) and that the incidence of food-intolerance and "pseudo-allergic" reactions is high in chronic hyperventilators. Advice on diet, breathing and candida infections is given in books by Shirley Trickett quoted at the end of this chapter. It is usually inadvisable to stick to a strict exclusion diet; with a normal balanced diet and sensible general health measures, including regular exercise, gastrointestinal symptoms due to withdrawal gradually abate.

I hope this helps clear up some question  :)