Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Those who took trips while in w/d

[Th...]

I need advice BB! My husband wants to go to Atlanta this weekend to visit his daughter and needs me to go with him! I am soooo very nervous because for one i have a lot of what if thoughts and I'm so afraid ill have a major panic attack being out of my comfort zone! Before i ever started taking benzos we use to go to Atlanta often and i had no problem. Grrrrrr why MEEE!!!!!! :tickedoff:

My biggest problem was that I was traveling by myself driving myself when I hit the road.  More specifically, my biggest problem was that I had a very hard time sleeping away from home (which was already not great when I was home) and then found myself in the position of not feeling great about driving for hours on minimal sleep for the return trip.

I think that if I had been with someone else, making it responsibility free for me, I would have had a fantastic time.  As it was, there wasn't anything about the trips themselves that were bad and I really enjoyed getting out of the house after being cooped up.

I hope you have fun!

:)

Hi there...I am in Washington DC right now with my husband who has to attend a conference at a University here.  I dreaded it for weeks...obsessed over the drive and how I would hide my symptoms from others when I got here.  I was nervous when we first got on the road but played some books on tape and that distracted me.  We stopped often so I could move around.  It was supposed to be a six hour drive but when we hit the Capitol, grid lock traffic added another 2.5 hours.  I made it...even went to a mall for dinner once we arrived.  I am going to Atlanta in November to visit one of my sons...I am not going to let this nightmare keep me housebound anymore!  I'm sure you will be fine as the anticipation is always worse than the actual event.  Have a great time!

Donna

We just got back from the river. I was petrified to go. I was so full of the what ifs. I'm trying to change it to so what. I can either have anxiety at home or on the river. I even packed coloring books that I didn't need. I didn't want my son or hubby to suffer because of this. It ended up being great. I knew I could stay in the room if I needed to. Everytime I say no to something I feel like I am giving it extra power.

But I am the queen of the what if game.

although you might continue the what ifs until you actually go just keep in mind that the what ifs are always worse than the actual. Keep in mind that this is all part of w/d. Keep in mind that as you have said you have done this trip many times before w/o problems & therefore you will be able to do it again. Keep in mind that when you are done with this & you have healed (6-18 months away from all drugs) this will be a non issue. Keep in mind how important this is to your husband & do it for him. Keep in mind that you want to LIVE life & not let it pass you by. (even though that might be painful at times.) Keep in mind that thoughts cannot hurt you.

You will have a great time. When do you leave?

Keep us posted-all the best!  8)  :)

I keep telling myself i can do it but in the back of my mind I'm thinking i need to know where the nearest hospital is!!! ???:-\:idiot::tickedoff:   Real Deal if your the Queen I'm definitely the princess of the what if game. I can't do nothing without thinking what ifs!

...and leave you will. I myself will be making a two day driving trip to Florida a few days after you go. I am actually looking forward to the family trip. While I still have some downs & worries to deal with, I am in a far better position than I was for last year's trip (which I did anyway) now that I am just short of 5 months drug free!!! You will be happy you did it!!!  Have a great time. :yippee:

I went to Philly for business then stopped in New Orleans for a couple of days of R&R about a month after I jumped. I wasn't very comfortable but I made it through.

My last trip was a few weeks ago and that went down completely without incident. I was feeling a lot better by that time so it was no surprise that it went well.

If I had to travel between 2-4 months off, now that would have been a challenge. Back in the days when I could barely leave the house I couldn't imagine having to get stuck somewhere that I might be extremely uncomfortable with nowhere to go to take myself out of the situation.

Depending on your condition though as others have mentioned you might end up being perfectly fine. I did often find that there were occasions where I pushed myself to do something and I was ultimately glad that I did.

[8c...]

I leave for Europe on Monday and I'm beyond petrified.  I'm feeling ok now, but the "what if" game is killing me.  

Like you, I'm afraid that I'm going to have a panic attack in the middle of my tour group...etc.  I've just been trying to focus on the positive, and look forward to all that I'm going to see.

Hang in there, and have a safe and wonderful trip, ok?

Fieldychan

Thanks SweetG and Fieldychan!  I love the what that you encourage the positives and not say stuff like don't go cause u might go crazy or feel really ill etc. .... Cause I'm doing enough of the negatives myself :pokey:

[8c...]

I'm hoping that my trip is so awesome that I get distracted, and forget about withdrawal altogether :)

A girl can dream, right?

I leave for Europe on Monday and I'm beyond petrified.  I'm feeling ok now, but the "what if" game is killing me.  

Like you, I'm afraid that I'm going to have a panic attack in the middle of my tour group...etc.  I've just been trying to focus on the positive, and look forward to all that I'm going to see.

Hang in there, and have a safe and wonderful trip, ok?

Fieldychan

I have a feeling that you will be more than fine. At minimum my trips provided a bit of a distraction for me to the point where I wasn't really feeling my symptoms like I would have at home.

[8c...]

Awww! Thanks FloridaGuy! 

I'm nervous...etc, but at the same time so excited!! I refuse to let these drugs ruin one more moment of my life.  I am not allowing myself to dwell on symptoms while I'm on vacation!  I'm just going to enjoy myself and relax.

I went to mexico and south florida. I was still very sick in mexico but did it because it was a family trip that was already paid for. Florida was not as bad. I would say don't let your anxiety keep you home - but if you feel you are still too sick then consider waiting until you heal further to go. For sure I did not really ENJOY either trip, but I ENJOYED the fact that i felt like a normal person again traveling.

M

I took a trip last weekend with my boyfriend. I had been in a window the days prior to the vaca, but my symptoms came back with a vengeance during the trip (which I was worried about). The bright side is that I had such a wonderful time, I was able to distract myself a bit from my symptoms. My advice would be to try to maintain eating right, not drinking too much alcohol (if you drink at all) and allowing yourself time to rest if you can.  Sometimes on vacation we throw caution to the wind and do things in excess.

All in all, it was good to get away. Good luck to you!

hey sweety,

just be careful what you eat and don't drink any of the water from a strange town...you could end up with bad tummy problems..bring your own beverages!

love

cupcake

Hi hun, I have been taking trips since I C/T , I probably traveled abt 6 times since my C/T driving , and 2 flights, I actually just arrived in Florida Sunday a two day drive again, it wasnt easy but either way I found would off mattered where I would have been the symptoms still would been there either way. I had extreme anxiety while traveling to Florida , it was a 2 day drive , I remembered when my husband stopped to have a cigerette break I was freaking out telling him we had to leave NOW ...lol, I couldnt stand stopping anywhere. I also had flown twice gng through it as well, I managed to cope with it , cause I had no choice but with great difficulty . Its not easy to do but when you have no choice its amazing what we can endure. Hang in there hun , you can do this.

Love Laura

xoxoxoxo