Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

need help with tapering off klonopin

[dh...]

I want to stop this drug. I take between .25 and .5 mg before bed.( I have been taking it for about 3 years) It is a low dose but I found when I missed a day I had terrible side effects. what is the best way to stop. i usually only take 1/2 (.25) of the pill before bed. Suggestions please.

thanks

Hi dh!

The first thing you want to do is stick with .25mg for a least a week. Don't fluctuate your dose. Then you can try the method I used, and half that dose to .125mg (1/4 pill). Stay at that for a couple of weeks. I personally jumped off from that point, with little problem (except some insomnia) but apparently I am an unusual case!

If this doesn't work for you, you can do a liquid titration, which allows for much smaller cuts and a smoother taper. Here is a brief description of this method, (along with others)

http://www.benzobuddies.org/buddiesguide/methods

If you would like to do titration, go to this link http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=62.0 and start a thread, someone will set you up.  ;)

Hi DH,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

Eljay has supplied you with some sound advice. If you do need to use titration, you might be able to use a simplified method, making up a glass of water with a single pill (or fraction of a pill), and drinking just a proportion of the liquid. Over time, you would drink less and less of the liquid. Our titration system is, essentially, a refinement of this basic method.