Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hello

[Ka...]

I have been on 2 mg of Xanax for several years. My doctor prescribed it to me after the death of my 17 year old son to help me with sleep. I wish I had never been prescribed this medication. I have tried several times, along with the help of both my physician and a psychiatrist to reduce my dose, but the intense withdraw effects got the better of me. I want off this drug! I need support from people who understand what it is like being on xanax and trying to get away from it completely. Thanks for having me on this forum and I look forward to reading others stories and hope that I can get away from this drug with time and patience.

Hi Karynica, welcome :)

I'm sorry you're having a hard time getting off, what type of method did you use to wean off before? I hear what you're saying about the withdrawals, not fun. You'll fine a lot of support and understanding here, please ask questions, we're here for you.

Star 

Hi Kary,

Welcome to BB.  I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your son.  I can't even imagine how difficult that must have been.  

You will find many on BB who have been able to get off of Xanax via different ways.  I'm sure you will hear from some of them soon.

You will also find a lot of great people on this site that will offer you soooo much support and understanding.

Take care,

NYClady

Hello Karynica and welcoming you to BB! I am so sorry for the loss of your son, you have my deepest sympathies. I am sorry to hear of your issues with Xanax as well. Are you looking to taper off? Slow and steady is the way to go, reducing no more then 10% of your dose every 1-2 weeks as a guideline. Some have tapered directly off Xanax either by dry cutting or using titration, while others have crossed over to Valium and tapered off with that using the Ashton method as Valium can be easier to taper from since it is longer acting. Whatever you decide to do, we are here to support you. Hang in there and know it can be done! Let us know what questions you have.

Hey Karynica,

I'm so sorry to hear about your son. I've been taking Xanax for three years and tapering for almost seven months now. I have maybe a month or two left of my taper and then I'll be benzo free. There's been others who've tapered directly off of Xanax, so though you haven't succeeded yet, there's always the possibility you will. Remember that everyone is here to support you, so ask any questions you may have. I'm glad to see you're ready to start living without benzos. There is a life after these drugs. Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  :)

Hello Karynica,

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your son, my heart goes out too you.

Benzo Buddies is a very supportive site and I have found a lot of comfort here.

It sure is difficult when you try to figure out how to taper yourself, I know I couldn't. I too am on Xanax. I tried to taper by myself, then realized I didn't know how to and I too, had too intense effects when doctors have tried to help me. I am working with a doctor on it now and have tapered so far from 1mg of Xanax, down to .75mg with not too bad of side effects and I plan to keep on going!

When I found BB I was relieved because I have gotten a lot of information here that has helped me a lot. I hope you do too. Welcome  :)