Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Psychiatrist doesn't get benzo withdrawal

I was at a wedding last weekend and saw an acquaintance that is a psychiatrist. Early in my withdrawal I asked him how long to take to get off 15mg of temazapam with long term use. He said several weeks. Luckily I found the support groups and took almost 8mos. I am now off 6mos and still not sleeping at all. I told him how long it took me and he couldn't believe I took so long. I tried to explain it and he really didn't want to hear or believe me. I told him about the great help from the support groups. What a shame that these doctors just don't get what is involved in this withdrawal. He did say that Xanax was the worst in his experience but I know he thought I was a real wimp taking such a long withdrawal. Lucky for me I didn't listen to his advice.

Kathi

It's my opinion that some doctors don't believe the extent of withdrawal. Some of us were put on the benzos for anxiety reasons, so when we come off and tell our doctors how we're feeling, maybe they believe that to be our anxiety. When I told my doctor that I wanted to get off benzos, he told me that that decision was great, but I might have to be on them forever for my anxiety. Benzos do help to ease anxiety, but I think that some doctors are under the assumption that they work forever, which isn't the case as you can tell by people who experience tolerance withdrawal.

I'm happy to see that you came to your own decision. Doctors are wonderful people and they can be of great help, but there's nothing set in stone about them being God. If I felt there was something off about what my doctor was saying, I always have the option of getting a second opinion. Congratulations on being benzo free!  :thumbsup:

Thanks I'm happy to be benzo free and to have had the help of the support groups. It made all the difference for me. I really slowed it down from what the doctors prescribed. I just wish I could sleep. I know I would feel a lot better with sleep.

Kathi

For them to accept the difficulty we say of getting off benzos would be a challenge to what they have been taught and that can be dificult for any of us.