Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

The positives to come out of this...are there any?

[Ju...]

Granted, this whole recovery process SUCKS ASS. But, silver lining thinking here:

1) I finally lost that pesky 10 pounds.  :laugh:

2) I will have a greater appreciation for good health once this is over and done with.

3) surprisingly, I haven't lost my sex drive.

4) I have greater empathy for those with addictions.  It's not just the low-lifes who can't get their shit together.

5) I will be taking care of myself better, both through the withdrawal process and beyond.  My goal is to never have to see another doctor for the rest of my life for anything other than physicals. (Hey, I know it's a long shot).

6) I have really discovered what kind and compassionate people are out there, both here on these boards, and in my own life as I go through this.  

7) I have a new view of exercise, not as something to be endured but something that has greatly helped through this process..dare I say, "exercise is my friend."

8. My memory loss has allowed me to forget some of the nasty parts of my divorce! :D

(my story, Klonopin 1 mg 2 months, 2 mg 2 months, taken for insomnia not knowing the ramifications. tapered 1 month, jumped 7/5.)

I totally agree! This experience has definitely made me appreciate good health and good relationships.  I will never take those for granted again.

• 2 weeks later...
Congratulations on being benzo free! I might sit down one day and write the pros of all this. Glad to see you're seeing through the storm. Good thinking  :thumbsup:

I think one of the biggest positives that comes from benzo withdrawal is learning how to self-nurture. Many of us were prescribed benzos for anxiety. During the taper process we need to learn how to cope with anxiety as well as a ton of psychical and emotional sensations. Many of these are worse than the symptoms that the meds were originally prescribed for. By learning to deal with these "super symptoms" during the w/d process, we're learning how to see things in perspective. We're learning how to self-nurture. I can see this leading to some very empowering skills. The original reason we got on benzos is exactly what the w/d process forces us to learn. Once we're feeling more like our normal selves, we can beat anything our body or minds throw at us. We're stronger than before the meds. We understand that feelings are just feelings and can't hurt us.

That's powerful!

I think one big one for me that I took away from the whole detox experience is I don't take what I have in my life for granted anymore.  After being inpatient for the start of my benzo detox, I saw alot of people "on the inside" so to speak that have it ALOT worse than me.  I will never forget the patients I met in the hospital, ever.  Even in the severe withdrawl state I was in.