Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Getting Prepared to Taper off Clonazepam

[An...]

Hello Everyone,

I'm Bri, 21 years old, and after I was prescribed Xanax at the age of 13 for a legit anxiety disorder, I got almost immediately addicted. I continued to abuse (up to 30 mgs of Xanax a day, then run out, go through withdrawal, seizures, all that good stuff) until I was 18 years old. Klonopin seemed less addicting in the fact that it didn't give me a "buzz" so I switched over and I've been taking that as prescribed from the age of 18 until now (3 years). I'm ready to live my life without benzos but I've been on them for 9 years now and don't know what life if like without them. Scared, but ready! My dose as of now is: 1 mg of Clonazepam TWICE daily (2 mgs daily). Advice and support is all I can ask for from this forum. Thanks  :)

Hiya Bri, Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

It seems a good portion of your life has been spent trapped in the benzo pit.  Although I am amazed that you were on up to 30 mgs of xanax a day, your type of situation hasn't been unheard of.  I am glad that you are on a fraction of that dose now.

We will gladly support you in your efforts to get off of the clonazepam.  There are many methods you can use to get off of clonazepam.  Generally people recommend doing 10% cuts every 1 to 2 weeks.  I assume that you have the 1 mg pills.  Do you think you could speak with your doctor about your desire to come off of clonazepam (at your pace) and to see if your next prescription could consist of 0.5 mg pills?  They will make it easier to do cuts as you get lower.

Crono

Yes! I actually have my doctors appointment tomorrow for a regular med checkup and of course this is when I'm going to bring up the big news...that I want to get off these pills&stop letting them control my life!! About how much would a 10% cut be? Yeah i was also thinking 0.5 mg pills would be easier to cut...Thank you for the quick response!

A 10% cut of 2 mgs would be .20 mgs.  Of course that is not an easy amount to dry cut accurately so you may want to go a bit higher or lower.  It depends on how well you tolerate cuts, but generally we recommend a slow steady taper... especially when members have been on benzos for as long as you have.

You may do well to do .125 mg cuts every 1 to 2 weeks.  That would be 1/4th of a .5 mg pill.  That may suit you well until you get to lower doses.  Below 1 mg, a .125 mg cut would start rising well above the 10% mark so at that point, if things are too rough, there is the option of titration.  However, many have successfully dry cut directly off of clonazepam and have recovered.

If you head on over to the Planning Your Taper board you will get help working out a more concrete plan.

Crono

Hey Bri,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies! Sounds like you've been through the ringer with benzos. I'm glad to see you're ready to taper off and get your life back. Positive attitude like that will help you out tremendously. I'm also glad to see you're now taking Klonopin, instead of Xanax. Klonopin's half life is much longer than Xanax, so it makes for a smoother taper.  Remember, we're all here to help you out and give support, so ask any questions or voice any concerns you may have. Good luck with your doctor's appointment.