Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Bad withdrawals still.. A few questions

Hi all. I am currently on 7.5 mgs daily of Valium. I took about 2 months or a little more to get here from 40mgs. I had been cutting about 1mg a week for the last 3 and hadn't had too much trouble until about 5 days ago I cut another mg putting me at 6.5. About a day ago it started to feel like hell again so I went back up to 7.5 mgs.

I know I was going way too fast, but it has been 2 days on 7.5 again from 6.5 and I'm still feeling awful. My question is how long will it take for this to level off so I can feel some comfort again before cutting..

Second, I know I need to increase my time before cutting to maybe 10 days.. Should I cut 1mg every 10 days or should I cut .5mgs every 5 or 6?

I'm trying to be safe and to never feel this awful withdrawal again to this extent.. What would you all recommend time and amount wise for the most comfortable symptom free taper? I'm suffering here so I'm all ears

Thank you all

Justin

Hopefully you will stabilize at two weeks or so on the 7.5. I don't know what the best method to cut would be but I know that some people go a full two weeks between cuts, some even longer if they are having a hard time.

Hi Justin,

Just as it takes awhile for your body to realize you've cut your dose, it also takes time for it to get back up to a therapeutic level.  Try to hang out at this new dose for at least a week or more, then consider dropping again.  Professor Ashton tapered her Valium patients in one to two week stages, and as draklore911 mentioned, many Buddies wait even longer. 

This process is more about paying attention to your bodies signals than sticking to a time clock.  How you decide to taper from here on out, whether it's .5 or 1 mg cuts needs to depend on how you're feeling. 

Hey Justin,

I waited two weeks before I made my second taper and felt completely awful. Now, I wait three weeks and my body seems to handle that well. Always listen to what you're body is telling you. If cutting once a week is too much,, then maybe try waiting a week or two more. There's no point in rushing this process, as you want your body in the best shape it can be for when you jump off.