Important Survey - Please Participate ×

What warnings (if any) came with your benzo prescription?

[Ju...]

My script for Clonazepam just said, "may be addictive. Do not suddenly stop taking this medication."

I think I would have done more research before taking the drug if it had stronger warnings.

I love that xenofears!  Maybe we should ask, "what do you WISH you had read in the warning information"?

Lol, amano.

My ALPRAZOLAM (Xanax) prescription info sheet says:

Common Uses: This medicine is a benzodiazepine used to treat anxiety and panic disorder. It may also be use to treat other conditions as determined by your doctor. (my bolds)

Also:

How to Use This Medicine: Follow the directions for using this medicine provided by your doctor. (my bolds)

On the bottle it says: May cause drowsiness, alcohol may intensify this effect.

There are no warnings whatsoever about addiction or do not suddenly stop taking this medication.

As I recall back in 2000, there were even less warnings than this.

*there are other warnings like don't take while pregnant, don't eat grapefruit, ask doctor before taking other med and so on.

What I wonder is if these info sheets are consistent state-to-state and country-to-country, and if not, why? It. is. the. same. drug....no matter where you are at.

The only warning I got from my Dr was that it may be addictive if I took it for a long time, like 6 months. I only took it 10 days then stopped because my Dr said it was fine too and had horrible w/d, I thought I was going to die and had no clue what was wrong with me. And when I called my Dr he said it was all in my head and it was my anxiety (was not even prescribed to me for anxiety) and then he told me to stop acting like Michael Jackson and to get it together and quit calling him. Clearly I never went back to this doc!  :laugh:

Isn't it federal law (it's certainly NY State law) that all bottles have the "Controlled Substance, Dangerous unless used as directed" warning sticker on them?

[b6...]

On my bottle of Valium-

I'll read it off to you, the labels

"Avoid Grapefruit"

"May cause dizziness"

"May cause drowsiness"

Orange label that says, "Controlled Substance, Dangerous unless used as directed".. like xeno said.

I'm in NY.

As far as the NP who gave me the klonopin, she just said, "You have to relax with it"...

That was all.

I was supposed to start out taking 0.5mg four a day, but then one 0.5mg made me sedated for the entire day.

Then I was upped to 1mg pills, then 2mg pills, seen a Neuro, who prescribed me 2mg pills, this was in Massachusetts at the time, he said I could take up to 10 a day.  ::)

That's really about all.

I have looked back at mine and there were just the usual warnings in the paper from the pharmacy, nothing on the Klonopin bottle at all.  The doctor flat out told me that Klonopin was not addictive, that I should be on it for 3-4 months if not for life and that there would be no problem getting off of it.  Hahahha, jokes on me.

There was no warning about withdrawal or not suddenly stopping it, no warning that it is a controlled substance.  Really scary. 

Xeno, it must not be Federal law to have the red label ....unless my state went rouge, lol.....because it's not on my bottle. I live in fly-over country. I don't understand why the law is not uniform through-out the states. I'd like to see some Canadians and UK people weigh in on what their bottles and PI sheets say.

I found out it was a controlled substance when I went on a trip out of state last summer and I didn't have enough for the trip so _Mart wouldn't let me refill early, they said I'd have to transfer to the state I was going to. I was going all over the country. When I got to the last state I was out. They gave me a hard time getting it filled. When I came back my state wouldn't let me refill (even though I had more refills coming) until they called the doc. It was a 3 day weekend, so I had to w/d for 3 days...all from the same chain pharm. State to state transfers are as bad as airport travel.

My originating doc of 8 years never once said it was addicting, even though I asked him periodically, IMO I don't think most docs know it is.

No red label/sticker for me here in AZ - I wonder if it's because I got the generic (Clonazepam) instead of name brand (Klonopin)?

Shouldn't make a difference in my opinion.

My doc also didn't say a word about it, all he said was "this will relax you.."  Yeah right.  I was having severe insomnia and pretty desperate.  The kicker is, it never really helped me sleep all that well.

No red label/sticker for me here in AZ - I wonder if it's because I got the generic (Clonazepam) instead of name brand (Klonopin)?

Shouldn't make a difference in my opinion.

My doc also didn't say a word about it, all he said was "this will relax you.."  Yeah right.  I was having severe insomnia and pretty desperate.  The kicker is, it never really helped me sleep all that well.

I'm really surprised the red/orange labels are not uniform for all benzodiazepines, Julie.

I didn't have insomnia very often till after I developed a tolerance to Xanax. I'm tapering now and sleep 5 hours a night, way less than what I require, but better than some. I hear sleep comes back for the most part once you heal.

Have you looked at the Insomnia threads yet Julie? They might be helpful too you.  :)