Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Side effects after stopping Klonopin

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum today, and have received some very positive responses...thank you.  I started Klonopin on June 7, taking .5 once a day, then .25 for two days, then skipped a day, then back to .5 for several days, etc.  I started tapering on May 22, going to .25 for 5 days, .1875 for 6 days, then .125 for 7 days.  I saw a new psychiatrist on Friday and he told me to stop taking the Klonopin that night, so I did.  I had some depression (I also take Lexapro) over the weekend, a tiny bit of anxiety, no motivation, but then Monday (yesterday) afternoon, felt great.  Last night, I had a horrible night....probably didn't sleep over 4 hours because I was worried whether I would be hit hard later on this week with side effects from stopping the Klonopin, and then today, I've spent most of the day agonizing over it (I'm my own worst enemy).  What bothers me is that today I have no motivation, and feel depressed.  Could this be a Klonopin side effect?  I also take Buspar....10mg. twice a day...have been taking that for about a month.  The doctor told me today that all the Klonopin is out of my system (is that possible??) and that these side effects today are from the Buspar, and wants me to start tapering it.  IF these are from stopping the Klonopin, how long will they last, and at what intensity?  Or could they be from the fact I've had such little sleep?

Thanks.

Daisygirl

The ringing in your ears (albeit extremely brief) you mentioned in your other thread, seems to me to be a telltale indicator that you are having some degree of benzo withdrawal (side-effects from stopping the Klonopin.) No one can tell you how long they will last, what you will experience, any of it, it can vary so much from person to person. You were on it so short and stopped at a nice low dose I wouldn't even read up on benzo w/d it might make you much worse hearing the worst that could possibly happen (but I will say just about anything you can imagine is in there sadly.)

Klonopin takes 1-2 weeks for most of it to get out of your system, and drug out of your system does not mean the end of withdrawal effects at all.

Hope you feel better!

The ringing in your ears (albeit extremely brief) you mentioned in your other thread, seems to me to be a telltale indicator that you are having some degree of benzo withdrawal (side-effects from stopping the Klonopin.) No one can tell you how long they will last, what you will experience, any of it, it can vary so much from person to person. You were on it so short and stopped at a nice low dose I wouldn't even read up on benzo w/d it might make you much worse hearing the worst that could possibly happen (but I will say just about anything you can imagine is in there sadly.)

Klonopin takes 1-2 weeks for most of it to get out of your system, and drug out of your system does not mean the end of withdrawal effects at all.

Hope you feel better!

Thanks for the reply.  The doctor said the Klonopin should be out of my system.  I haven't had the ringing in the ears today, but my depression is major this afternoon.  I started Lexipro three weeks ago...take 7.5mg., and 10 is usually the starting therapeutic dosage, so maybe it's just my regular depression showing its ugly head.

Daisygirl

Hi Daisygirl,

Is this the first time you've taken an antidepressant?  I've read where AD's can make ones depression worse before it makes it better.

Hope this helps,

NYClady

If all you are feeling is depression, I wouldn't chalk that up to Klonopin withdrawal.

My doctor says the same thing.  My morning started with low motivation and then as the day progressed, the depression set it and became worse.  But everytime I would cut a dose of Klonopin, the next afternoon, I would have horrible depression....just for about 6 hours, and then it would pass.

Daisygirl

Hi Daisygirl,

Is this the first time you've taken an antidepressant?  I've read where AD's can make ones depression worse before it makes it better.

Hope this helps,

NYClady

Hi NYClady,

Thanks for your reply.  No, this isnt the first time I've taken an antidepressant.  I started Zoloft on April 21, but my doctor at the time thought more was better and kept increasing the dosage, even though I was feeling good on a lower dose (50mg).  I suddenly experienced too much serotonin, with horrific anxiety and the feeling I wanted to crawl out of my skin.  I tapered down on the Zoloft, and then switched to Lexapro on June 25.  Funny thing is that yesterday afternoon, I felt great.  Maybe the insomnia last night is contributing to this depression. 

Daisygirl

Daisygirl,

I am tapering off Klonpin and my doc put me on 20 mg of Lexapro. I feel down mainly because of fear of symptoms that may or may not even appear from day to day and how this will affect my job and classes upcoming in two weeks. I am seeing a therapist to help me cope. Don't stop your work outs as they increase endorphins.

I listen to meditations on youtube at night with headphones in a very dark room. i take Benadryl and magnesium to help me relax. Hot epsom salt baths too.

I still have profound fatigue, worry, and insomnia daily. I cant wait to be free!

Ev

Daisygirl,

I am tapering off Klonpin and my doc put me on 20 mg of Lexapro. I feel down mainly because of fear of symptoms that may or may not even appear from day to day and how this will affect my job and classes upcoming in two weeks. I am seeing a therapist to help me cope. Don't stop your work outs as they increase endorphins.

I listen to meditations on youtube at night with headphones in a very dark room. i take Benadryl and magnesium to help me relax. Hot epsom salt baths too.

I still have profound fatigue, worry, and insomnia daily. I cant wait to be free!

Ev

Ev, thanks for responding.  I completely understand about your fear of the possibility of symptoms...I feel exactly the same way.  And no, I would never stop working out.  I had considered Benadryl...how much do you take?  I usually don't have a problem going to sleep...it's just staying asleep that's tough.  I am also seeing a counselor, and it does help me with cognitive thinking, although anxiety is present, it's difficult to hold positive thoughts.

I wish my doctor would increase my Lexipro to 10mg., but he thinks I'm just too sensitive to meds to handle it. 

Where are you with your tapering?  Good luck, and I'll hold good thoughts for you.

Daisygirl

Daisygirl,

I am tapering from 2 mg Klonopin, and am down to .25mg and holding until after my vacation. I take two benadryl, a supplement by Shaklee called Gentle Sleep which has Passion Fruit, Valerian, and something else?????? and one magnesium pill before bed. I also have a script for hydroxyzine which like a strong benadryl that helps with sleep for some people.

My biggest withdrawal symptom is bloating and insomnia right now. I do have morning anxiety from time to time and I feel very weird for the first hour each morning. Sort of sit and stare and have no emotions for a little while. Then I snap out of it.

I would just do what your doc says. I am convinced that I have been able to taper .25 every two weeks because I was already on Lexapro. From what I read on here, most people cannot taper as quickly as I have without terrible withdrawals. All of mine have been pretty easy to handle all in all, but then again I am not working right now.

Ev

Daisygirl,

I am tapering from 2 mg Klonopin, and am down to .25mg and holding until after my vacation. I take two benadryl, a supplement by Shaklee called Gentle Sleep which has Passion Fruit, Valerian, and something else?????? and one magnesium pill before bed. I also have a script for hydroxyzine which like a strong benadryl that helps with sleep for some people.

My biggest withdrawal symptom is bloating and insomnia right now. I do have morning anxiety from time to time and I feel very weird for the first hour each morning. Sort of sit and stare and have no emotions for a little while. Then I snap out of it.

I would just do what your doc says. I am convinced that I have been able to taper .25 every two weeks because I was already on Lexapro. From what I read on here, most people cannot taper as quickly as I have without terrible withdrawals. All of mine have been pretty easy to handle all in all, but then again I am not working right now.

Ev

Ev, thanks.  I'm not working right now either so that's been easier, knowing I didn't have a job hanging over my head.  My mornings are my worst time too...depression and major worrying...

Daisygirl

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum today, and have received some very positive responses...thank you.  I started Klonopin on June 7, taking .5 once a day, then .25 for two days, then skipped a day, then back to .5 for several days, etc.  I started tapering on May 22, going to .25 for 5 days, .1875 for 6 days, then .125 for 7 days.  I saw a new psychiatrist on Friday and he told me to stop taking the Klonopin that night, so I did.  I had some depression (I also take Lexapro) over the weekend, a tiny bit of anxiety, no motivation, but then Monday (yesterday) afternoon, felt great.  Last night, I had a horrible night....probably didn't sleep over 4 hours because I was worried whether I would be hit hard later on this week with side effects from stopping the Klonopin, and then today, I've spent most of the day agonizing over it (I'm my own worst enemy).  What bothers me is that today I have no motivation, and feel depressed.  Could this be a Klonopin side effect?  I also take Buspar....10mg. twice a day...have been taking that for about a month.  The doctor told me today that all the Klonopin is out of my system (is that possible??) and that these side effects today are from the Buspar, and wants me to start tapering it.  IF these are from stopping the Klonopin, how long will they last, and at what intensity?  Or could they be from the fact I've had such little sleep?

Thanks.

Daisygirl

I have came off benzos more than once. Klonopin withdrawal is far more physical than xanax without a doubt. Hopefully your symptoms will subside soon, but don't be surprised if they hang around for a bit. Hang in there.  :thumbsup:

Hi everyone,

I just joined this forum today, and have received some very positive responses...thank you.  I started Klonopin on June 7, taking .5 once a day, then .25 for two days, then skipped a day, then back to .5 for several days, etc.  I started tapering on May 22, going to .25 for 5 days, .1875 for 6 days, then .125 for 7 days.  I saw a new psychiatrist on Friday and he told me to stop taking the Klonopin that night, so I did.  I had some depression (I also take Lexapro) over the weekend, a tiny bit of anxiety, no motivation, but then Monday (yesterday) afternoon, felt great.  Last night, I had a horrible night....probably didn't sleep over 4 hours because I was worried whether I would be hit hard later on this week with side effects from stopping the Klonopin, and then today, I've spent most of the day agonizing over it (I'm my own worst enemy).  What bothers me is that today I have no motivation, and feel depressed.  Could this be a Klonopin side effect?  I also take Buspar....10mg. twice a day...have been taking that for about a month.  The doctor told me today that all the Klonopin is out of my system (is that possible??) and that these side effects today are from the Buspar, and wants me to start tapering it.  IF these are from stopping the Klonopin, how long will they last, and at what intensity?  Or could they be from the fact I've had such little sleep?

Thanks.

Daisygirl

Daisy girl feel better soon.. thank god you are done.  I am happy for you.  You are benzo free give it time. You will heal, and be happy again.. Stay positive

Luv,

Mishi

Daisygirl, how are you feeling today?  Have you had any more symptoms??

Luv

Angel

Hi Angel.  I started today feeling ok, but as the day progressed, started feeling so very restless...just couldn't sit still, but around 4 p.m. today, was just about back to normal.  I started tapering Buspar on Saturday, and noticed some strange out-of-body feelings last night (Sunday), had a horrible nightmare and woke up with unbelievable anxiety, but was able to do some deep breathing and go back to sleep.  I did the Buspar cut today, but then started feeling bad, so took the other half at noon.  I'm thinking maybe I should wait until I'm more stabilized to start tapering the Buspar, although my dr. thinks the Buspar is causing this depression and restlessness.  Who knows!  I felt great over the weekend, with the exception of last night.  Several people have mentioned that they don't think this is Klonopin withdrawal....

How are you doing?  And thanks so much for asking about me.

Daisygirl

Hi again Daisy - am glad you are not getting real bad w/ds.  I am quite surprised you are getting them at all as you were on such a low dose. for a short time.  However, I can talk, I was probably on benzos less time than you but high and erratic doses - the 3mg Xanax = 60mg valium apparently!

Phew ... I am doing so much better thanks - am 3 months 2 weeks off and though am still getting that morning anxiety, some fatigue and nerviness during the day sometimes, I am pretty normal now.  In fact am due to travel again this weekend, first time since I got ill.  Still a bit wary of stress.  One of the things that has helped me throughout was the advice to just carry on with my life despite w/ds and not focus on them - so have done pretty much that though at times it was difficult but I pushed myself.

I don't know whether you have read Tamzo's buddy blog but, although she may not know it, she has helped me a lot.  She has been through a way harder experience but her attitude is so positive, she gets out and about and on with it - she has small children to care for.  If you are reading this Taz, thanks sweetheart!

You will be fine Daisy - even if these are w/ds you are going through, I doubt they will  be severe and won't last long.

Angel

Hi Angel,

Thanks once again.  I had an ok night....went to sleep quickly, but woke up at 3.  Was very calm, no depression, etc., but just could not get back to sleep.  Finally dozed off again at 4:30, but with really strange dreams.  Woke up 'quickly' (I hate that) at 6:45.  Today has been really good...I took the Buspar at 8 a.m., and two hours later starting having a headache, a tiny bit of nervousness...but I'm thinking it's because I went back onto my regular dose, and these are normal side effects.  Maybe it's still Klonopin...again, who knows!

I'm happy to hear you are improving everyday.  And yes, I've discovered that if I focus on my symptoms, they are MUCH worse.  It's so difficult sometimes though, especially when I'm having negative thoughts.  I'm doing cognitive therapy, which really helps.  I just have no idea what to expect, and what is causing what, so am frustrated.  But today is #11 off of Klonopin, which is a good thing!!

I'll hold good thoughts for you....and again, thanks for your reply.

Daisygirl