Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Feeling pretty ok so far - accelerate taper?

[Co...]

I've gone from 1.0 to .5 daily K at night making .25 cuts with relatively little difficulty.  W/D symptoms have manageable so far, the worst being a persistent headache and some pretty annoying tinnitus.

But I am in a low stress window at work and feel capable of accelerating a bit.  So, my plan was originally to make a cut of .125 on Thursday.  I'm thinking of either making a .25 cut on Thrusday and holding for 2 weeks or a .125 cut tonight and holding for one week.

Thoughts?

Let your body be your guide, but keep in mind the half life of Klonopin.  It makes sense to give yourself enough time in between cuts for your body to fully realize the dose reduction.  Another thing to keep in mind is that when we slowly reduce, we're allowing some healing on the way down, plus allowing ourselves to remain functional by controlling the symptoms.  Once you're off the drug, you'll be at the mercy of the drug withdrawal, no longer able to somewhat control the symptoms.  Having said off of this, if you feel you're good to make these reductions, then go for it but remember, it's better to go slowly down, than go back up in dose if it becomes unmanageable.

I've gone from 1.0 to .5 daily K at night making .25 cuts with relatively little difficulty.  W/D symptoms have manageable so far, the worst being a persistent headache and some pretty annoying tinnitus.

But I am in a low stress window at work and feel capable of accelerating a bit.  So, my plan was originally to make a cut of .125 on Thursday.  I'm thinking of either making a .25 cut on Thrusday and holding for 2 weeks or a .125 cut tonight and holding for one week.

Thoughts?

I personally wouldn't, but I had a rough time tapering from this particular benzo.  You seem to be coping quite nicely with these cuts, so if you feel that your body can handle it, listen to what it's telling you.  But bear in mind that .25mg is quite a hefty cut in the world of Klonopin tapers.

As long as it works for your mind and body, then keep on going how you see fit. I'm glad to know you aren't having any major withdrawal symptoms, although headaches can be unruly at times. Much luck to you.

Yeah - the headaches are a pain - but nothing that can't be handled by a celebrex now and then on an as - needed basis.

Just made the next cut - went to .375.  Will hold here for a week or so and see how it goes.

So far so good.  Slept surprisingly well last night.  I did get up once, and was fearful that I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep, but actually dozed right back off.  I do feel a but more anxious today, but only a bit and nothing I can't handle.  However, to the extent I've had w/d symptoms during the taper so far they've usually peaked at day 3 after a cut and diminished from there.  So I'll know in a couple of days whether I'm still on target or not.

I think it's important to take it a little slower or smaller cuts once you get to the lower doses, you're doing great! Hang in there  :thumbsup:

Comet,

I too have been making large cuts in a fairly short amount of time. I'm down from 2mg a day to .25mg (.125 twice per day) since April 21st.

Like you, I've felt some slight w/d's around the 2nd or 3rd day each time I've cut. My next cut is scheduled for July 25th. I'm considering cutting to .125mg (.0625 twice per day).

Good luck to you.

cubfan4real

Cubfan  - man you are almost home free.  Congrats.  I'm a bit jealous because I want to be done with it.  Seven years and I want to know what it's like to think without this stuff in my system...anyway, glad to see someone else is doing ok on this taper schedule.  Good luck on your coming cuts/jump

Cubfan  - man you are almost home free.  Congrats.  I'm a bit jealous because I want to be done with it.  Seven years and I want to know what it's like to think without this stuff in my system...anyway, glad to see someone else is doing ok on this taper schedule.  Good luck on your coming cuts/jump

I feel like I'm almost home free. I'm hoping the next cut goes well. Once I get to .125mg, I know I'll have this thing licked.

Keep up the good work, it's great to know I'm not alone on this schedule as well.

Sleep will do a world of good, Comet. After not sleeping so great for the past couple of nights, I got a full night's sleep last night and I feel refreshed. Glad to hear you're doing good.

Yeah - sleep is great.  So far no real problems sleeping, day 3 of last cut. Nothing too bad so far. Thinking of making next cut a few days ahead of schedule too. 

Cutting early is fine. If it were me, though, I'd wait at least a week and make sure my body and mind were ready for it. It must feel good knowing you're going to be benzo free soon. Keep hold of that thought if you get discouraged by any withdrawal symptoms. I know you can do it.

Yeah, I'm probabably going to wait a few more days to be sure I'm ok, but all-in-all feeling quite positive.

Well - day 4 of my last cut and I'm still feeling good.  Have energy, headaches have even subsided as has the tinnitus.  I'm thinking of accelerating the schedule again and come off another .125 a few days ahead of schedule.  I know the CW on this website is slow and easy and I AGREE. . .but I'm ready to be free of this stuff. 

Anyway - I may decide against it this evening when it's time for next dose - but I'm thinking I can make another .125 cut tonight. 

It's great that you're feeling well, Comet, but if it were me, I'd hold a couple more days just to give my body some extra time to recover. Feeling great now doesn't always equate to feeling great later.

shaneb,

True - I'm just anxious to get going and be done with it.  Thinking of making the cut but hanging out at .25 for 7-10 days regardless of how I feel before making the next cut.  Sheesh. . . you make a good point though.  Darnit!  Now I don't know what to do - must be w/d anxiety. 

I'm sorry that I posted the same answer twice in two different ways, lol. My brain just isn't all there today.

Like I say, do what you feel is best. I was only spouting out general rules.

shaneb,

True - I'm just anxious to get going and be done with it.  Thinking of making the cut but hanging out at .25 for 7-10 days regardless of how I feel before making the next cut.  Sheesh. . . you make a good point though.  Darnit!  Now I don't know what to do - must be w/d anxiety. 

I cut to .125mg on Friday, essentially removing my .125mg evening dose. Saturday was difficult but I made it through. I was up north at a family's lake house and spent about 4 hours in bed with a real bad stomach and some feelings of "heat flashes" where my body would break out in a cold sweat. Sunday I was much better, and today has been going great. My cuts have been every 12 days.

I did make the cut a few days early because I was just feeling really good and positive.  It's day 3 and so far so good.  I actually feel amazingly well so far.  The .125 cuts have been very smooth - much easier than the .25 cuts I was making earlier in my taper.  The w/d effects that I was feeling before - persistent headache, tension, and bad tinnitus have all subsided, not gone away, but I'd peg them as a minor annoyance at this point.

Fully anticipate I'll make the next cut in just few more days to .125. 

Good wishes to you, Comet.  :)

I was drawn to your title, since I have felt the same at a couple of points in my taper which I began back in May. It sounds like you're following your instincts and that you've gotten some good input from fellow taperers. Since you're tapering K and I am tapering V, I know they are different in some ways but the same in others, and we're all heading off the benzos. Thank goodness.

One thing I noticed that I was finding myself doing was wanting to catch up with people who were ahead of me in their tapers, and I had to step back and take into account that some of them had started their tapers months ahead of mine. And also, that we're all different with different circumstances: some of us have been on the benzos longer, age, health, level of exercise, all these things play a role, and I am not in a competition/race with anyone, but myself, so to speak.

Meanwhile, I wish you all the best, and it sounds like you are on a good track, and I will look forward to hearing how it's going for you.

Best regards,

Grace~

Grace,

Thanks for thoughts.  I have to say although I am competitive in life generally, I don't feel the need to be that way in this.  My wish to get through this faster comes from a long build up to the decision to quit and once that decision was made the frustration of needing to do so slowly and gradually.  I'm just anxious to get this over with.

I've received a lot of good advice here and there is now doubt that switching to cuts of .125 rather than .25 have made the transition much smoother. 

But my favorite piece of advice so far is to listen to what your body is telling you.  In doing I found that I could accelerate things a bit and if I run into trouble, back off for a bit.  So far it hasn't been a problem. 

So while I'm not in a race with others, I am in a race with myself.  After seven long years I'm ready to be free.

Well - just made the last cut before the jump - feeling hopeful but a bit scared too.  If I had to do it again I definitely would have done quicker and smaller cuts.  That being said, I'm glad I tapered and listening to what my body has been telling me seems to have worked so far.  *crosses fingers*