Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Introduction

[Ch...]

Hi I found this board online while looking for some sort of help getting off xanax. I have been prescribed xanax since 1994 by my psychiatrist.  I want to get off this medication. My dosage for as far back as I can remember is 2mg of xanax, 3 times a day. So that was a total of 6mg a day. I am in the process of weaning off but am having a hard time. Now I am taking xanax xr 1mg, 2 of the 1mg xr in the am, 1mg xr in the afternoon for a total of 3 mg xr a day. I am very frustrated and feel that if I don't take charge, the doctor will keep me on xanax forever. I need some help/advice from people going through what I am going through. Thank you for your help!

:)

Hi ChiMom and welcome to Benzo Buddies.

Congrats on getting from 6 mgs to 3 mgs - that's a huge accomplishment!

Has your doctor considered changing you to a longer acting benzo in order to taper?  Tapering from Xanax XR is not recommended for the reason that you cannot cut the pills due to the fact that it is an extended release type of drug.

Is your doctor willing to help with a slow, gradual taper?

We're here t support and encourage you, and please ask questions - we're here to help.

[59...]

ChiMom,

Welcoming you to BenzoBuddies.

You will find plenty of support here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Sigma.

Hi ChiMom, I'm glad you found BB. I take Xanax too, and I had no idea how to taper it until I found this forum. There is a lot of information and support here,welcome.

Hey ChiMom,

Welcome to BB! I, too, am one who was prescribed Xanax for anxiety. It's taken six months, but I'm almost finished with my taper. You can most certainly can get to the same point I am, as long as you follow a taper plan that works for you. Xanax does have a short half life, so crossing over to a longer acting benzo, such as Valium, makes it easier when tapering. If your doc doesn't agree, or if you can't find a doc who will let you cross over then don't be alarmed. Many forum members have successfully tapered off Xanax and are doing wonderfully. Don't be afraid to ask any questions you may have. We're all here for you.

Hello ChiMom and welcoming you to BB! Congrats on lowering your dose! I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I agree with the others, Xanax XR is extended release and not meant to be cut. Would your Dr consider switching you gradually over to an easier benzo to taper? Please let us know how we can continue to help you, hang in there.

I was a low dose xanax user for 18 years and I'm almost a year off now. Good for you wanting to get off benzos..........BOX

• 2 years later...

Hi I found this board online while looking for some sort of help getting off xanax. I have been prescribed xanax since 1994 by my psychiatrist.  I want to get off this medication. My dosage for as far back as I can remember is 2mg of xanax, 3 times a day. So that was a total of 6mg a day. I am in the process of weaning off but am having a hard time. Now I am taking xanax xr 1mg, 2 of the 1mg xr in the am, 1mg xr in the afternoon for a total of 3 mg xr a day. I am very frustrated and feel that if I don't take charge, the doctor will keep me on xanax forever. I need some help/advice from people going through what I am going through. Thank you for your help!

:)

Your original post goes back to July 2011.  I'm confused.