Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

short half-life benzo question (lorazepam)

[da...]

I am taking .25mgX4/day=1.0mg/day lorazepam.  (6 hr spread between doses). would like to start tapering again.  Can I start reducing the daytime doses while holding the bedtime dose constant even though its a short half-life benzo or will I be screwing my brain up/confusing it?

You can certainly try reducing the daytime doses, one at a time. 

For example for your first reduction, reduce a bit from dose #1.  For the next reduction, reduce a bit from dose #2, and so forth.  This way, you won't be eliminating just one dose, but can keep it fairly spread out.

If possible, it might help to reduce the evening dose once in a while.

There are others who have more experience with lorazepam (Beeper comes to mind), so hopefully they will weigh in, soon. :)

I liked keeping my doses more or less even, David, though I did make my evening dose the last one to reduce and the last one to drop all together.  If you are a slow metabolizer of the drug, you might be able to get away with taking the bulk of your dose at night without suffering interdose withdrawals.

Unfortunately I'm a very fast metabolizer with epilepsy!  Take it 4X/dy and still have interdose symptoms but its time to start tapering some more.  Starting another 10% cut from 1.0mg/dy

David, I was put on about 3mg/day Lorazapam in February due to a huge attack of tinnitus (very loud ringing in the ears). Anyway, as the ringing decreased in April and May I cut back to about 1mg/day of lorazapam because I did not like the way it made my stomach feel. I did not find this site until 2 weeks ago so I did not understand that the lorazapam had such a short half life that for most of April through June I was experiencing interdose withdrawal. After finding this site 2 weeks ago I was able to get my doc to give me 5mg and 2mg tablets of valium and I have crossed over to 7.5mg valium/day as of today. In my limited experience I am doing much better on valium. I don't get the big anxiety attacks that I got when I was averaging 1mg Lorazapam/day. I am able to fall asleep ok around 9pm but have trouble sleeping past 4am so I dose a little heavier at 2am then at 2pm. If you can, I suggest you switch to valium because of its longer half life when you get down to such small doses.

Thanks klondike,

have you had any depression isues with vallium or upset stomach or cross-over problems?

No David, I have not had any big depression or anxiety issues with valium.......at least nothing like what I had during April-June when I was averaging around one mg of Lorazapam. As I crossed over to valium I have had agitation from about 9am until about noon but the rest of my day was much smoother and calmer....I think the valium makes me a little drowsy and slower but not a big difference in that either. I have completely switched from 0.75mg Lorazapam now as of 3 days ago...over to 7.5mg valium and for the past two evenings I have noticed that I am feeling more alert and I can feel some joy and interest in reading the paper coming back. Keep in mind this is all very new for me. The morning agitation was mild for me today. God speed your recovery!

klondike

thanks for the input.  For a number of reasons I am not sure if vallium is the best option for me so for now I am trying to see how far I can get with ativan 4X/dy but I may very well wind up on vallium before the end. Thanks