Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Estazolam vs Xanax??

I have been on 1.5mg of xanax per day for many years. I have managed to wean myself down to .5 per day for about 4 months now. I don't sleep much...I mentioned this to my psych doc and he prescribed prosom. I just picked up my med called eastazolam and it says it is a benzodiazepam....

Why would he give me the same medication?,

Does anyone know if this Estazolam is a benzo?

Why not just take the xanax?...he was so happy that I was able to get down to a much smaller dose and then he prescribes this???

Any thoughts?

Mary

Hey Msry,

The link provided gives you a bit of info on the drug:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000894/

It seems that Estazolam is a Benzodiazepine. I'd suggest not taking it, as you don't want to hinder the healing process or quite possible get hooked on another benzo. Have you tried melatonin? It's a hormone in the body that helps induce sleep. You can pick it up at a Walgreens or any local pharmacy near you, I'm sure.