Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Mirtazapine and supplements.

[Cu...]

Does anyone take melatonin with Mirt? I’m on 15 mg. I take it before bed. No other drugs. My sleep is hit or miss. Lately 2-3 hours a night, if that. I believe Mirt has reduced my anxiety a bunch. Or my WD symptoms are diminishing. Hopefully the later. I don’t want to up my dose or add an OTC sleep aid. They say reducing the dose is more sedative. But don’t want to be knocked out. 

Any other suggestions will be appreciated. 
Maybe Tryptophan? 

I’m afraid to take a CBD gummy with THC. Will it interfere with the Mirt?

@[Cu...]

2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Maybe Tryptophan?

Don't do this. You are risking serotonin syndrome taking both. It seems that you are looking for fast solution but maybe you should just take a break and don't change anything?

• Like 1

Mirt is more sedating at lower doses but the sleep isn't great sleep in my experience. It is hit and miss and kind of zombifies you when it does work. It doesn't feel like restorative sleep at all. I agree that you shouldn't add other meds if you can help it. It can complicate matters. 

• Like 1

I would suggest not taking anything, like supplements or other medications lots of buddies say it slows down healing.

I am super sensitive to everything and had some huge setbacks upsetting my CNS by trying things these last five months.

I am able to take 3mg of Melatonin occasionally for sleep. 

TIME is the only medicine we need.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Does anyone take melatonin with Mirt? I’m on 15 mg. I take it before bed. No other drugs. My sleep is hit or miss. Lately 2-3 hours a night, if that. I believe Mirt has reduced my anxiety a bunch. Or my WD symptoms are diminishing. Hopefully the later. I don’t want to up my dose or add an OTC sleep aid. They say reducing the dose is more sedative. But don’t want to be knocked out. 

Maybe Tryptophan? 

I am 60 days off of lorazepam for 20 years, and extremely sensitive to everything. Melatonin has always affected me negatively. Made me super nervous and hyped up. Same with tryptophan. But, I previously took CBD with a small amount of THC, Papa & Barkley's 30:1, and it helped me sleep for about six hours a night. I'm too sensitive now, but it did help me for about a year.

Now, exercise is the only thing that really knocks me out completely.

5 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Maybe Tryptophan? 

I used to take both mirt and melatonin.  It didn't interfere with the mirt, but it really didn't help with those times I had trouble falling asleep.  

I'm happy to see that mirt may be helping you with your anxiety.  It helped me when I was battling depression caused by clonazepam.

Like others have replied here, I would be wary of trying anything else.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

You talking about more or melatonin here?

This quote came from Curtis1512. I don't take anything at all now. Just exercise makes me sleepy.

9 hours ago, [[C...] said:

all reports say Mirtazapine at 7.5 mg is more sedative than 15 mg. Go figure. 

In my experience 30 mg made my anxiety worse a year ago. I've read a lot of studies and some support groups about mirt and they all say that lower dose is more sedating and higher dose is more activating. But.. who knows. If I were you and mirtazapine helps with anxiety, wouldn't change the dose. Antidepressants need time to do what they do and as I read you are just in the beginning so.. 

About melatonin: what I read again in some studies there is no need to take big amounts, 1 mg is enough.  Taking melatonin while in withdrawal  made me wide awake in the past. 

• Like 1

I take mirt 30 mg and it’s the only thing that helps me get any sleep and I do take melatonin with it.  The mirt helps with my depression but not 100%.  I’ve been much worse since my first cut of klonopin at 10% reduction two weeks ago.  Today I’m a blubbery mess.  But I’ve had more good days so I’m hoping it will continue to get better before I make another cut.  You can’t stop the mirtazapine cold turkey anyways..you should only reduce one medication at a time.  So if you are tapering a benzo, don’t stop the mirtazapine until you are done.

• Like 1