Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Starting a AD during tapering withdrawal

[Au...]

Hey All,

A week ago I increased my daily Xanax dose from .125mg per day back up to .5mg in an attempt to stabilise and be able to function again. I had tapered too quickly and was suffering debilitating anxiety and constant panic among other sxs. Since increasing my dose the anxiety has reduced a bit but I’m still having a lot of panic/fear around leaving my home etc.

I was wondering if anyone has had experience introducing an AD to help with the anxiety and panic associated with benzo WD. I was considering starting mirtazapine as I have used it previously and seemed to tolerate it well. I have also tried lexapro but it gave me horrible side effects and Valdoxan didn’t have any positive effects on anxiety or panic for me at all.

Thank you 🙏 

Edited by [Au...]

If you decide to do it I would start low and go slow as they say. I started mirt whilst off of benzos and did it too quickly. I developed Akathisia and have had a rough time since.

When I say start slow I mean SLOW. I would start as low as 1mg maybe and work your way up, being on the look out for symptoms creeping in.

That way your in a better position to get back off if need be than you would be from a higher dose. I would take into account that just because you tolorated it well in the past doesn't neccessarily mean you will now.

Our nervous systems aren't what they used to be at present, so you may react completely differently this time round. Just be very considered and cautious with every thing you add or change, and go slow. 

Edited by [jo...]
  • Like 2

Hi, @[Au...], i had the experience of introducing mirtazapine while tapering to relieve benzo wd symptoms but my main symptom the AD was intended to help with was an unbearable headache not panic or anxiety. All in all, mirt turned out to be helpful+- for me despite its side effects.

I agree if you really need  an AD, it's better to start low and go slowly, much more slowly than you did before.  Good luck to you!

• Like 2