Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Magnesium glyconate

[Pa...]

Hi everyone.

I am new to this group. Tapering of 0.25mg of Xanax.  No other Benzos or psych drugs. Just 2 blood pressure meds and a little thyroid.

I was only on the X for 3 months, but off and on twice.  Second time off ER. Tachycardia +

I still have some withdrawal symptoms, even though the tough stuff is getting much better, still leg cramps in my calves and tinnitus, fatigue.  Trying to stay out of bed and walk as much as possible.

My question is, what is your experience with Magnesium glyconate?

My doctor says to take magnesium for leg cramps. Had them for over 7 weeks. Getting concerned. 

I took it a few days (8?) 120 mg of the magnesium glyconate per day. It seemed to help my sleep. Not too much for the legs yet, but I did think it might be helping.  I stopped taking it because all the recommendations to not take supplements, especially magnesium.

I stopped all other supplements a while ago.  

Please share your knowledge.

Love and care to you.

Hi, @[Pa...] 

I been taking magnesium citrate for a month now and then. It helped a bit, not much. I also know ppl who take/took other magnesium salts and found them helpful. As far as i know, any supplements during wd is a 'hit or miss' thing. Might help or not but i doubt magnesium can be really dangerous or prevent from healing. I think if it helps why not take it for a while?

Please, don't get concerned too much. Leg cramps is quite a common thing while withdrawing. I've had them too. And i think it's just great you try to stay off bed and walk! Healing to you🙌

• Like 3

That's what's stated in the Ashton Manuale about supplements:

Nutritional supplements (added April 12, 2012)

'...Nor is there any evidence that suggests benzodiazepine withdrawal causes vitamin, mineral or other deficiencies. No-one should take supplements without clear evidence of a specific deficiency. Those who advocate multiple supplements should first show evidence of any deficiency and then conduct proper controlled trials.

In particular, taking GABA precursors does not increase GABA concentrations in the brain. Benzodiazepines do not decrease GABA concentrations; instead they alter GABA-receptor affinity. This slowly reverses without the need for supplements and there is no evidence that supplements speed the process. People taking or withdrawing from benzodiazepines should eat a normal healthy diet – which, after all, consists of “natural” substances and contains all the ingredients necessary for the body.'

• Like 3

On 09/10/2024 at 08:38, [[P...] said:

Hi everyone.

I am new to this group. Tapering of 0.25mg of Xanax.  No other Benzos or psych drugs. Just 2 blood pressure meds and a little thyroid.

I was only on the X for 3 months, but off and on twice.  Second time off ER. Tachycardia +

I still have some withdrawal symptoms, even though the tough stuff is getting much better, still leg cramps in my calves and tinnitus, fatigue.  Trying to stay out of bed and walk as much as possible.

My question is, what is your experience with Magnesium glyconate?

My doctor says to take magnesium for leg cramps. Had them for over 7 weeks. Getting concerned. 

I took it a few days (8?) 120 mg of the magnesium glyconate per day. It seemed to help my sleep. Not too much for the legs yet, but I did think it might be helping.  I stopped taking it because all the recommendations to not take supplements, especially magnesium.

I stopped all other supplements a while ago.  

Please share your knowledge.

Love and care to you.

Have you tried soaking in a warm bath with Epsom salts?