Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

How to travel abroad with insomnia?

[do...]

Can you travel abroad with insomnia and restricted diet?

Any tips will be very helpful

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi @[do...]

I'm sorry I didn't see your post earlier.  Have you left for your trip yet?

Hello again @[Bu...]

That's okay and how are you doin'?

No, not yet I am still considering. Have you ever gone abroad with this conditions?

Well, hey again, right back at ya, @[do...]!

I have not traveled at all with this going on.  I've had so much dizziness and pain, it just didn't seem like the time to do much.  But, things have been a bit better lately, so I am considering a trial vacation in a week or two.  But not far and not for long.  My husband has a couple of weeks off work coming up so we are thinking of trying a couple of nights in a hotel about an hour from home.  We live close to a major city with a lot of nice museums, restaurants, parks, theaters, etc., so we thought we might give it a go.

I am in the "scouting" mode and looking into hotels, what kinds of beds they have, etc.  And I'm also looking at restaurant menus in the area to see if they can accommodate my limited diet.  I live on baked potatoes, brown rice, chicken and green beans.  You'd be surprised at how hard it is to find a plain baked potato or plain rice in a restaurant, they all want to make them "fancy"!  

Are you thinking of traveling for a vacation or is this a work thing?

@[Bu...]

In this condition we really need to distract our mind, so that we can forget all of this at least for a while. Short escape is the right choice, are you going on holiday right now?

And yes, hotels are a tricky one. Apart from the mattress, a quiet room with good ventilation is also important. It's a good thing if you can eat at a restaurant, have you managed to find a restaurant that will grant your request? Or are gluten free restaurants more willing to accommodate special requests or menu changes?

On 15/10/2024 at 05:58, [[B...] said:

Are you thinking of traveling for a vacation or is this a work thing?

I can't work yet and I yeah I am considering a trial vacation starting from the closest country first. Because next year my husband and I have plans to take my son abroad to look for a university to study further and I don’t want to miss this moment.
Just the thought of such a long journey scares me. My main concern is food. So far I only eat home-cooked food, wondering if I go abroad, can I bring frozen food? Or should I just bring the spices? I am aware that US regulations prohibit bringing in foods such as beef from outside the US. 

5 hours ago, [[d...] said:

Short escape is the right choice, are you going on holiday right now?

We were planning to try to go later this week, but I have been having a really hard time with neurological symptoms (head pressure/pain, dizziness, unsteadiness) and benzo belly flaring up, so I don't know.  We're just taking it a day at a time right now.  The good thing about planning a trip so close to home is that it really doesn't require much actual planning.  I found several hotels that seem like good options.  And I have a small hepa filter that I take with me to help with ventilation and air quality.  It also makes some nice white noise, so that helps with sound disturbances.  I live in a very noisy apartment complex, (small child in the unit above us, with hard wood floors) so the hotel might be quieter anyway!

As for food, I called several restaurants and asked if they would take special requests.  Happily, they all said they could accommodate my special requests and make things very plain.  So that's good.  

I don't know about traveling abroad.  I've never left the U.S.  The farthest I've ever traveled from home is about 1,000 miles and that still keeps me right in the middle of the country. :)  Maybe try calling some restaurants and see what they can do for you?

5 hours ago, [[d...] said:

next year my husband and I have plans to take my son abroad to look for a university to study further and I don’t want to miss this moment

That sounds like a wonderful trip!  If it's not until next year, perhaps things will be better with your health by then.