Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Which Benzo is worse?

[6e...]

[6e...]

Many say Klonopin is, but I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks.

I guess because it binds tighter, I don't know..

IMO, a Benzo is a Benzo.

Hi Sigma,

I've heard the same about Clonazepam...and I've heard similar stories w/ Zanax and even Ativan.  I had my very last appointment w/ my Psychiatrist on Monday, and when I was about to leave she stated that out of all the years she has practiced, her observation was that Clonazepam was the most difficult to come off of.  I was her "guinea pig" for crossing over to Diazepam - my husband suggested the cross over to her...and she actually thanked me for possibly changing the way she takes her patients off of Benzos!

So from HER opinion, Clonazepam was the worse one...but like you said, a Benzo is a Benzo.  No easy way off of them. 

Hope you are doing well,

Schatje

Ativan is what messed me up.  5 months on, 6 months out and still messed, mental stuff.  I did not get  the nerve pain that K seems to give people.

Last year I tapered off of Ativan and had horrendous akathisia, horrid seizing pain in my neck and upper back, couldn't drive or ride in a car because it was traumatic to my brain and terrible drumming/thumping in my nose and throat and insomnia plus about 10 other things.  I reinstated to Klonopin and tapered off of that.  This withdrawal is completely different...90% psychological/mental and crazy making stuff.  I think your brain reacts differently to different stuff.

Klonopoison gets my vote all day long

Klonopin is a killer for me also... Wanted to wean off the Klonopin thinking it will take a shorter time to get off.. I do no know if I did the right thing yet..

Yes klonopin hurts alot and is insane

Luv,

Mishi

Many say Klonopin is, but I'm curious to know what everyone else thinks.

I guess because it binds tighter, I don't know..

IMO, a Benzo is a Benzo.

sigma and schajte hope you are well. Thinking of both of you today and alway's

Luv,

Mishi

• 2 weeks later...
I have heard so many say that Klonopin is the worse along with Xanax. I have only been on Ativan, a very potent drug that has a very short half life. Reason I am crossing over to Librium to taper.

[6e...]

Klonopin, alot more physical wd.  Ouch!

I personally think Xanax and Klonopin are the worse, seems to be more physical pains with these two.

Especially the burns!

[6e...]

I have heard so many say that Klonopin is the worse along with Xanax. I have only been on Ativan, a very potent drug that has a very short half life. Reason I am crossing over to Librium to taper.

Ativan can cause the physical pain as well.

I c/t 6mg of Ativan back in 2002, very little withdrawal, I do somewhat remember some burning, but very mild.

:oXo: Wow Sigma.........That is a very good question. I have gone thru w/d from xanax, ativan and klonipin. The xanax I had severe N/V and diarrhea and as weak as a new born kitten. The ativan I had a small amt of the N/V and diarrhea, but must say the severe panic attacks were horrible and I ended up in the psych ward. Then came the Klonipin w/d, No s/s for 9 days, I was feeling so smug by the 9th day..then it smacked me upside the head, instant panic, unable to think properly and thru this was attempting to work and act normal.......don't think I pulled that off very well. Today 5 mo off, I have had a 4 day window and now starting to be cautiously optimistic.    Brushy

@Sigma0123, Oh I know how bad sudden withdrawal from Ativan is like. I went through it in detox. I never felt so weak, in somewhat pain from stiff muscles and horrible insomnia and I had the shakes. It was a living nightmare! That is the reason I put myself back on it and got a second opinion. I have given my health to the Lord and pray everyday a couple times for a smooth withdrawal after the crossover. I have also changed my diet to foods that help heal the receptors and boost the GABA levels. I just wish this Librium and Doxepin didn't make me so lazy and give me the munchies. I am gaining weight that I don't want. It's not too much and can be lost if only I could be more active.

[6e...]

I never went through Ativan withdrawal. I was on it 2 months, 2mg tid a day.

Kinda think of it, I had some burning, but I'm very very sure that's not the case for everyone.

:)

While anyone is going to say the one that made them suffer (except for some of those crossing to Valium...) I really do think Klonopin can be the worst to withdraw from for reasons unknown. Maybe because there is such a huge range of doses that do little but keep you sick. The Klonopin horror stories are predominant here. Oddly you would think there would be more Xanax horror stories, I guess not because I would think not nearly as many people truly attempt to direct taper that stuff. I would have never tried it, it kicks your butt hard and then runs from the scene.

xenofears, I've wondered about that too....since Xanax is the only one I've been on, I wouldn't know...but when I was reading all the news about what's going on in the UK regarding benzos, I noticed that they don't allow prescriptions for Xanax and Klonopin is supposed to only be used for epilepsy, but they prescribe it off-list (in the US we call that off-label). I've learned those terms mean doctors prescribing a med for something other than what they were specifically designed for.

I'm going to read up on that more. ???