Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Best insomnia forum?

[PE...]

1 hour ago, [[K...] said:

Sleep hygiene doesn’t always help everyone. Sometimes there is no “help”… only making peace with what is. I’ve tried it all. It okay, I’m not complaining, just saying there isn’t always help to be had. It’s an ugly truth for some of us.

Pretty rare case that there is a permanent physical cause of insomnia. I am sure it happens but almost everyone can improve. 

• Like 1

I have been a lousy sleeper all my adult life.  Turn off electronics 30 minutes before retiring.  Take a warm bath with Epsom salts.  YouTube has some sleeping/meditations 8 hour videos.  There are many products out there to help you sleep. 

19 minutes ago, [[D...] said:

I have been a lousy sleeper all my adult life.  Turn off electronics 30 minutes before retiring.  Take a warm bath with Epsom salts.  YouTube has some sleeping/meditations 8 hour videos.  There are many products out there to help you sleep. 

Yes i know there are. Just not one that works for me.. except benzos. So far.

I wish i had a bathtub..there are mostly showers in sweden. I do lay on the shower floor sometimes. Like a shrimp 🍤 

4 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Pretty rare case that there is a permanent physical cause of insomnia. I am sure it happens but almost everyone can improve. 

For me insomnia comes in waves..but because of the benzo bs it's now worse than ever :/ 

It creeped up on my when the acute was done. 

I wouldnt lose hope in any way. At 9months into recovery I hadnt even laid down yet besides slept any real amount of time. It will get better. 

21 hours ago, [[P...] said:

I don't use sugar in any form. Yeah I have a fruit sometimes. 

I have raw cocoa i will try a spoon tonight 😊

Cocoa has caffeine. Its a stimulant for me. 

18 hours ago, [[K...] said:

Sleep hygiene doesn’t always help everyone. Sometimes there is no “help”… only making peace with what is. I’ve tried it all. It okay, I’m not complaining, just saying there isn’t always help to be had. It’s an ugly truth for some of us.

Actually, that is exactly what I learned on the YouTube channel I linked...I wish I could find the exact video.  And, I don't know how others feel, but comparing insomnia due to WD versus insomnia not WD induced...they are two different animals.

They talked about sleep hygiene, and that so many that try all the methods actually set-up so many rituals, and when they still cannot sleep, it creates more panic and pressure.  Like everything else in life, it's about detaching from the outcome and not creating more rituals.  I know...just like everything we are moving through, easier said than done.  But, I do believe what I learned from watching the content that I did.  And, it brought some comfort for the months of not sleeping even though it was chemically induced.  It certainly did not help me sleep because this is WD.  But, I do feel it's valuable for those who are suffering insomnia outside of WD.  Just gonna keep it in my back pocket for future reference.

Edited by [Fa...]
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, [[F...] said:

Actually, that is exactly what I learned on the YouTube channel I linked...I wish I could find the exact video.  And, I don't know how others feel, but comparing insomnia due to WD versus insomnia not WD induced...they are two different animals.

They talked about sleep hygiene, and that so many that try all the methods actually set-up so many rituals, and when they still cannot sleep, it creates more panic and pressure.  Like everything else in life, it's about detaching from the outcome and not creating more rituals.  I know...just like everything we are moving through, easier said than done.  But, I do believe what I learned from watching the content that I did.  And, it brought some comfort for the months of not sleeping even though it was chemically induced.  It certainly did not help me sleep because this is WD.  But, I do feel it's valuable for those who are suffering insomnia outside of WD.  Just gonna keep it in my back pocket for future reference.

As long time insomniac i get offended when people suggest sleep hygiene. I mean really.. have a room made for sleep includes darkness and silence. 

I also noticed that if having insomnia the reason always are looked for in the person's overall lifestyle. It's something wrong with the food, or not moving enough etc etc. It doesn't matter if I do heavy workouts everyday and sleep in a iglo i still can't fall asleep! Other Neurological disease are not blaming the person it's a matter of brain chemistry. This is not the case with us insomniacs. We're just stupid and lazy 🤨

I dont think anyone here is suggesting anyone is stupid or lazy. We are just offering the only advice we have to help. 

@[PE...]  For insomnia, I myself do not believe in sleep hygiene.  There is a difference, in my opinion, between situational insomnia and those who suffer with insomnia long term.  I understand your feelings on this.

Stupid and lazy?  Ummm...no.  I do wish I could find the one specific video I watched from that site.  If I come across it, I will post.  Everything you are saying is reflected in it.

Sure, there are obvious things that can influence sleep, but I feel that is more applicable to those who do not suffer from insomnia.  I am only speaking of what I have learned as I have only experienced this twice in my life and both times have been situational...the second being WD.  So, I have much compassion for those who found themselves on a benzo/z drug as a result of insomnia.  I did take a z drug for four years during the first bout of it many years ago.

2 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

@[PE...]  For insomnia, I myself do not believe in sleep hygiene.  There is a difference, in my opinion, between situational insomnia and those who suffer with insomnia long term.  I understand your feelings on this.

Stupid and lazy?  Ummm...no.  I do wish I could find the one specific video I watched from that site.  If I come across it, I will post.  Everything you are saying is reflected in it.

Sure, there are obvious things that can influence sleep, but I feel that is more applicable to those who do not suffer from insomnia.  I am only speaking of what I have learned as I have only experienced this twice in my life and both times have been situational...the second being WD.  So, I have much compassion for those who found themselves on a benzo/z drug as a result of insomnia.  I did take a z drug for four years during the first bout of it many years ago.

I didn't mean that us with insomnia are stupid! I meant the "info" on it makes me feel like they think I'm stupid. Is my English so bad? 🫣🤫🤔

Zopiclone worked good for me for years. I could even take breaks with just insomnia as symptom. Then i was stupid and said yes to other benzos prescribed as a natural part of a bipolar diagnosis. He said i was manic but it's just high energy levels so I don't believe im I have it I'm just a bit different. And these days every little thing in a person that is not "normal" should be adressed and medicated. 

I never in my life had anxiety or any other mental discomfort before this. Now i know how it feels.. it sucks lol.

I have a similar story. Case of the blues and decided to try ADs. Many other drugs tried including amphetamines after that cause I went hyper on ADs. Real mess. Like always. 

@[PE...]  I took Zopiclone, too.

I can't even get started on the reasons people are put on medications.  I have very strong opinions.

Yes, this whole things sucks.

I did misread your comment on being stupid.  I'm glad I misread it because you're neither.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

@[PE...]  I took Zopiclone, too.

I can't even get started on the reasons people are put on medications.  I have very strong opinions.

Yes, this whole things sucks.

I did misread your comment on being stupid.  I'm glad I misread it because you're neither.

I did my graduate work in university about this. How the medical field invent and define neurological diagnosis over time. It was interesting and frightening. 

@[PE...]  I worked in the field.  Not a prescriber, but worked with mental health practitioners.  My views are strong, but not what I would share on the site.

Being unique and different is to be celebrated.

BTW...I know you have been off now for 10 months, but with respect to the beers, you know they affect the same receptors, right?  I wouldn't want to see you in a setback.  

9 minutes ago, [[F...] said:

@[PE...]  I worked in the field.  Not a prescriber, but worked with mental health practitioners.  My views are strong, but not what I would share on the site.

Being unique and different is to be celebrated.

BTW...I know you have been off now for 10 months, but with respect to the beers, you know they affect the same receptors, right?  I wouldn't want to see you in a setback.  

I have a two beers limit and it happens once every other month.. I haven't been drunk since the acute. Yes I know that.. flashbacks from being hungover in the acute has made me don't like the effect of alcohol anymore. It sucks i used to love having a nice wine..

Thanks for caring 😊

• Like 1

5 hours ago, [[P...] said:

As long time insomniac i get offended when people suggest sleep hygiene. I mean really.. have a room made for sleep includes darkness and silence. 

I also noticed that if having insomnia the reason always are looked for in the person's overall lifestyle. It's something wrong with the food, or not moving enough etc etc. It doesn't matter if I do heavy workouts everyday and sleep in a iglo i still can't fall asleep! Other Neurological disease are not blaming the person it's a matter of brain chemistry. This is not the case with us insomniacs. We're just stupid and lazy 🤨

@[PE...] , were you struggling with insomnia prior to benzos? 

Perhaps, there is something wrong or not just right in the hypothalamus brain region of ppl who struggle with lifelong insomnia, not just benzo induced. Prior to benzos, my sleep was pretty good.  Now, some nights are good and there are times when I struggle. IOW, I am not as bad as many ppl who really struggle with trying to sleep, altho I am not a great sleeper either.

50 minutes ago, [[A...] said:

@[PE...] , were you struggling with insomnia prior to benzos? 

Perhaps, there is something wrong or not just right in the hypothalamus brain region of ppl who struggle with lifelong insomnia, not just benzo induced. Prior to benzos, my sleep was pretty good.  Now, some nights are good and there are times when I struggle. IOW, I am not as bad as many ppl who really struggle with trying to sleep, altho I am not a great sleeper either.

Hi 😊

Yes this was the reason i started with them.

Falling asleep has been an issue as long I can remember. But i have bad episodes then good ones in-between. 

It's like I'm on meth or something.. this is interesting what you say with the brain.. but wouldn't that mean that it would be all the time and just not episodes? 

I slept ok in acute and the couple of months after but the better I felt the worse the insomnia got. Atm it's ok:ish at around 5 hours but need to be up 20 hours before i can even try to fall sleep. 

So my days slowly twists as the week goes by and once a week i can feel normal waking up with the other humans 😆😊

I'm using a vape with cbd/thc sometimes and it works good for what I use it for.

Edited by [PE...]

@[PE...]

Topamax in very small doses helps me sleep immensely. It cannot be taken with any other med.

Pink and red light make me sleepy. Eating makes me sleepy. While reading thrillers or horrors. Anything more horrible than my life, please. No luck so far.

Working till I drop dead from exhaustion makes me sleepy.

Now it's time to introduce my greatest sleeping aid, which I call BARB. I'm talking about my plump sweet Kitty. Her snoring at night makes me comatose. She always sleeps by my pillow. 

A cat's purring is so incredibly relaxing... But there are many sounds in Nature that can make you fall asleep. You can find them on YouTube: the sound of rain, the sound of waves, the sound of a burning fireplace. You play them on a loop and you just drift away...