Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Alcohol

[JP...]

Has anyone used alcohol for anxiety from withdrawals? I realize it’s not good to do so but I times I need some peace. 

8 minutes ago, [[J...] said:

Has anyone used alcohol for anxiety from withdrawals? I realize it’s not good to do so but I times I need some peace. 

Alcohol is referred to as a "liquid benzo." If you want to heal, then using alcohol is entirely counterproductive.

Did you taper?

• Like 2

Hello @[JP...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Please try to abstain alcohol while in withdrawal, as it can aggravate symptoms and may prolong your recovery. Members report that in some cases alcohol consumption made their symptoms even worse. 

I understand you are struggling, I really do. But please try to push trough and find other coping skills. 

We will be here to support you! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, [[J...] said:

@[JP...]Would you like to "talk" about your symptoms in the withdrawal forum, so that you see you are not alone dealing with them?

Edited by [vo...]

Alcohol is about the worst thing you could possibly do right now. I am 1 1/2 years clean and sober right now and have been on a taper during that time from 30mgs of Valium taken for about 10 years to my current dose of 5 mgs. It is hell on earth, but drinking will only put more toxins into my body and reinforce the idea that I need something outside of me to make me feel good on the inside. I can’t believe I am even writing this as today has been torture. I am at my Mom’s taking care of a small disabled dog in the rain and have been crying most of the day, but I will try to get to an AA meeting tonight and finish up the day sober, without losing progress on my taper, and meeting all my obligations. 

This process varies from individual to individual, but as you can see, many of us end up in a pretty difficult situation trying to get off these drugs, and other substances are usually involved. I was just prescribed Concerta by my psychiatrist and after finding out it was just Ritalin, I had to choose not to take it, even though I knew it would have the effect of almost immediately making me feel better. I had big problems with Adderall that I taking along with Valium and Seroquel. It led me back to alcohol after 15 years of sobriety. I am still picking up the pieces, but am now only on my 5mgs of Valium and 600 mgs of Gabapentin which I hope to discontinue after my Valium taper is done. I also stopped Remeron recently which was prescribed for sleep but had turned me into a zombie during the day. I am coping with the withdrawals from that as well, but trust the process as much as I can. 

Good luck and stay strong. Stay connected to the people here. There are a wealth of success stories, but none of it was easy. Alcohol just makes it feel that way, until it doesn’t. Trust me. 

• Like 1

@[JP...] anxiety plagues many of us in wd. Have you tried CBD . . . one of the non-psychoactive components of marijuana? It has a good track record of calming anxiety. I often use a CBD gummie and  notice no ill effects. Just a calming of the chattering squirrels in my head. You could check out Charlotte's Web online. They're reputable. Just a thought :classic_smile:

Best to you,

Katz

• Like 2

@[or...] hi I seen your reply on here about cbd  was wondering if it interferes with the tapering I was thinking of trying it once I’m done tapering but I still have a while before that I made a cut yesterday and I’m pretty crappy I’m currently on 1mg of lorazepam 

On 30/08/2024 at 07:09, [[J...] said:

I did. Because it made me feel better. But I did not drink much. Just one or two glasses of  wine. I checked the Aston manual and she says you can drink the occasional glass of wine. So I did. I am now 7 weeks past jump and feeling ok. But if drinking does not agree with you, you will probably notice it. Everybody is different. 

@[PE...] thanks for the info I’ve heard of the cbd how it can help you with anxiety but I know in my younger days I’ve tried thc and didn’t like it but I hear cbd is a lot different I’m a little worried of trying it well tapering so not to sure if I should or i

need more research about it 

• Like 1

@[PE...] thanks bro for the info I really appreciate it now i Just need to figure out how to take it I know there’s different ways of taking cbd

• Like 1

On 30/08/2024 at 00:18, [[R...] said:

Hello @[JP...], Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Please try to abstain alcohol while in withdrawal, as it can aggravate symptoms and may prolong your recovery. Members report that in some cases alcohol consumption made their symptoms even worse. 

I understand you are struggling, I really do. But please try to push trough and find other coping skills. 

We will be here to support you! 

Thank you!! Glad to be here