Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Titration questions/help/advice

[Ki...]

Hi everyone, I've been posting in the new member section until now. I have read the Ashton manual and also just read your Titration insructions here and watched the two part video clip, so I would better understand it. I have had some severe withdrawal symptoms as you can read over in the new member section from just a low dose of Xanax. A slow taper is definitely what I will need. I am taking one dose of (0.25 mg) pill of Xanax, every evening at dinner. My body is already experiencing the uncomfortable symptoms of my body wanting a higher dose, however I'm going down not up! I want to make sure that I get everything that I need. I have the following listed of "needs". One 100ML Cylinder that I can get on ebay. One - Pill crusher - One 10 ml syringe - Whole milk.  If anyone can comment and help me with advice on this further I sure would be forever grateful. I'm thinking that I should drop down just by 1 ML increments. Would it be wise to do kind of like the guy on the video explained? Drop down 1 ML each day or should I have a hold period here and there do to the severity of my withdrawal symptoms in the past? I would love for someone to make up a personalized schedule for me and I want to start this as soon as possible. I'm going to get these items right away today.  Thank you all!

Hello Kimmy,

We can help figure out a good titration plan, but before-hand I would like to know if you would like to speed the process up a bit.  Starting with 100 mls and dropping 1 daily would make it over 3 months to get off the .25 mgs of xanax (= to 5 mgs of valium).  Although we do recommend that people taper slowly, this rate may not provide any benefit and could prolong your agony via interdose withdrawals.  You can shorten it by starting with with 75 mls, 50 mls, or lower.  Basically the amount of mls you start with is how many days it will take to become benzo-free. 

Do you still want to start with 100 mls or would you like to start lower?

Crono

I think I will go for it and try starting at 75 mls......I'm scared but the quicker I do this, the quicker I can start to heal.

Lets do this:)

THank you for helping me! I am so grateful!

Fyi - I do currently already have some interwithdrawal symptoms. This is the time I usually take my pill each day and by this time, my muscles are hurting, back burning, and so on...feel nauseated, etc. In case this helps at all. I have seemed to react really bad with withdrawal from such a small dose.....Grrr..

That sounds reasonable.  You can always adjust the rate and go slower/faster based on how you feel.  You will want to keep track on a notebook or calendar what reductions you are making daily.

Crush your .25 mg xanax pill and mix it with 75 mls of your choice liquid.

Day 1: Remove 1 ml and drink the rest. (74 mls)

Day 2: Remove 2 mls and drink the rest. (73 mls)

Day 3: Remove 3 mls and drink the rest. (72 mls)

Continue until you are benzo-free.

If you want to slow down you can hold at the same ml for a couple days or if you want to speed up you can try subtracting 2 mls daily instead of 1.  Just be sure that you keep track of any adjustments you are making.

Ok Crono,

THANK YOU for helping me out with this!!! I'm going to start this immediately here in a little bit. I already feel like total crap, so I'll be praying alot :)

I'll let ya know how I do:)

I have a quick question....I have read that it's better to split your dosage up throughout the day, instead of taking it all at once, like I've been doing.  What do you think? Does this make the taper easier or harder in the long run?

When using this current titration method with my xanax, is it indeed fine to use any liquid? I know that I read milk is best, however I can't drink milk, so I thought I better ask to see if there was something that was a better liquid option other than water, or just go ahead with my water?

Thanks!

Most dose several times a day, depending on their lifestyle and symptoms.  I would think with Xanax you'd want to take it more often.  You can use whatever medium you feel comfortable with, I've seen people use applesauce, coconut milk, fruit drinks, whatever makes the most sense for you.

Hi Kimmy, Welcome

We seem to have several things in common, have a body that is very sensitive to Benzos unfortunately (I have eplipesy) and right now am trying to start titrating also (Lorazepam).

This is what I have learned so far:

1 water is a poor medium to use as the benzos settle too fast.

2 For some poeple whole milk causes flem/coughing (which I do). Basically You need a medium that really slows down the settlement or actually traps it (is as dense as the benzo particles themselves).  I just called my local pharmicist for a suspension solution.  they use cherry syrup or kaylo syrup to suspend baby portions of meds.  I have also heard of apple sauce (maybe diluted).  Right now I want to try VB juice.

On a completely different approach several here on BB have said a .001g scale (gemini from amazom) also works in place of titrating.

And still another approach is a compounding lab (but it can get pricey)

I would do Xanax 3X/dy but There are others out there with more experience.  Good luck,God bless David B

Hey Kimmy,

Just stopping by to say congratulations on deciding to get off benzos. You're taking a brave step into personal freedom.

I'm tapering off Xanax too, and there's others on the forum who have as well, so don't be shy to ask any questions you might have. We're all here to help and cheer you on :)

I have a quick question....I have read that it's better to split your dosage up throughout the day, instead of taking it all at once, like I've been doing.  What do you think? Does this make the taper easier or harder in the long run?

When using this current titration method with my xanax, is it indeed fine to use any liquid? I know that I read milk is best, however I can't drink milk, so I thought I better ask to see if there was something that was a better liquid option other than water, or just go ahead with my water?

Thanks!

Hi Kimmy when I first started tapering I was taking ALL of my klonopin at ONE time during the day.  This is how my doc told me to do it. Well I was getting inter-dose wd big time, I didnt even realize what it was.  I then split my doses up to 3 times a day and within a week or 2 I was feeling soooooooooooooo much better.  And I didnt have to do it slowly like some suggest. I just split them up evenly all at once and was just fine.

good luck to you