Anyone used liquid Klonopin (compounded from pharmacy) -- need help

I did not put this post in the "preparing for taper" boards because I need to hear from people who already have experience.

I am hoping to hear from some folks that have used liquid Klonopin (from a compounding pharmacist).

That is what I have been using for the last couple of months and I am having a really hard time.

The pharmacist told me that benzos are known for losing their potency more quickly than other drugs when they sit in liquid. 

I currently get a new batch of liquid Klonopin (in a pharmacuetical suspension liquid) every 14 days, but unfortunately I have noticed the effectiveness seems to start decreasing around day 5 and is nearly completey gone toward the end of my 14 day batch.  Then I get a fresh refill batch and I start to feel better for a little while. 

Honestly, it feels like I'm on this rollercoaster of withdrawaling and updosing over and over -- even though I have not changed my dose (while I try to figure out what to do.)

All I wanted was a way to make tiny, consistent cuts that would be more accurate than milk or water titration.  I know that K is supposed to bind with milk fat, but I've heard debates about the accuracy of milk titration too.  I need to know the accurate amount of drug I'm taking, so I can have a successful taper without jerking around the  levels of K in my system from day to day.

I really need some advice --I feel really stuck and I don't know what to do.  I feel really sick and I'm scared about the journey ahead. 

Pleases help.

T

Hi Twell,

I've been using liquid K for 3 months now and have one month to go on a taper off of .5mg. I was told by several members that each batch should be used for 30 days. I have refilled my RX every 30 days and haven't had the problems with it losing potency or experiencing anything different from the beginning to the end of the refill. I only notice issues around my monthly cycle ie: ovulation and PMS. Are you in the US? What pharmacy are you using? I haven't heard anything about potency issues with liquid K before so I'm curious.

Best of luck. Keep pushing.

Amy,

Thank you for responding.  This is so frustrating.  I thought the liquid would be the answer to the control and flexibility I wanted. 

Can you tell me what brand of generic K you use  -- I use Mylan. 

Thanks.

Hi T -

We have an excellent compounding pharmacy in town and they recommended using compounded capsules as opposed to liquid.  They can make the capsules in 0.01mg increments so a lot easier to get correct dose.  I used them last year and was generally miserable as I was in tolerance.  It really seemed to make no difference versus cutting with my razor blade.  I was hoping that compounding would make my ride down easier but when I got below ~0.5mg it was bad regardless of what approach I took.  Hope you have a better experience with the liquid.

Billwill

I get mine compounded...but mine is usable for up to three months. I asked my pharmacist about expiry and such...he emphasized the liquid suspension will not effect efficy. He told me to just make sure that I go before the expiry date. The sx are nasty but somewhat managable.

Is there a reason for getting it refilled every 30 days. I'm getting worried now. That's why I dislike coming here sometimes...I hear stuff and my mind begins to race.