Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Should I throw my Xyrem out??

I was given Xyrem for my unbelievable insomnia while I was still on K. When I tried it back then, I would take the K hours beforehand to avoid severe interactions (as my dr told me to do), but they still must have not liked each other, because I got very severe side effects. Mainly very bad, weird mental confusion, and bad depression the next day.

Now that I'm off K, I'm wondering if I should give this another try for the insomnia....  :-\ I do hate all medications, as you know, but I just do not feel like i  can fall asleep without something.

Xyrem is essentially GHB. It is for narcolepsy, which I do not have, but is prescribed off-label for insomnia. When i had gone through virtually ever drug in my pdoc's arsenal... he pulled out the Xyrem. I do not know if it works on Gaba or what... although I suspect that it does since my dr had told me that Xyrem should "help me" taper off Klonopin.  ::)

Hi Holly,

I'd venture the guess that any side effects the drug caused while you were still on K would be magnified now that you're in w/d. Most of us become exceedingly sensitive during this period. Furthermore, looks like the Xyrem stuff has its own discontinuation syndrome.

Did you google it Holly?  I just did and it doesn't look good to me.  Oy ... especially the parts where it says it has caused deaths.

This stuff is supposedly industrial grade sh*&. I believe the deaths were associated with an underlying condition of sleep disordered breathing, but I'm not 100%. Why a doctor would want to knock out someone whose airway is malfunctioning I haven't the slightest clue :( I would not mess with it. Stick with Trazberry.

This stuff is supposedly industrial grade sh*&. I believe the deaths were associated with an underlying condition of sleep disordered breathing, but I'm not 100%. Why a doctor would want to knock out someone whose airway is malfunctioning I haven't the slightest clue :( I would not mess with it. Stick with Trazberry.

Hah, what do you know, I've been diagnosed with sleep disordered breathing in the past. (Although I'm fairly certain that was caused by a med I was on at the time of the sleep study. Forget which one/s it was.)

I'm so frustrated with medicines. They're supposed to be medicines but all they are is straight-up street drugs. Much more literally in this case since it's actually GHB. We are not addicts, we have good intentions and are searching for things to help us, but it seems these things could kill us just as easily. I guess now that I think about it, the fact that the FDA would pass a date rape drug to be prescribed medically just goes to prove how completely effed up the entire system is. What kind of drug are you really taking? Who the hell knows, all I know is that the line between the drugs that addicts use illegally on the street and what we have been trying to use to help ourselves "heal" no longer exists at all.

Makes me so mad.  :tickedoff:

(this is some benzo anger i'm venting  :pokey:)