Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Ashton Manual?

Hi BB,

When Dr. Ashton says that we can stay at a particular dose for a few weeks what does she mean by that?  3, 4, 5 weeks?

Feedback greatly appreciated.

NYClady

Professor Ashton didn't get nearly that specific when she wrote her manual, she provided taper plans with stages of 1 to 2 weeks between dose reductions.

This is from the manual:

The precise rate of withdrawal is an individual matter. It depends on many factors including the dose and type of benzodiazepine used, duration of use, personality, lifestyle, previous experience, specific vulnerabilities, and the (perhaps genetically determined) speed of your recovery systems. Usually the best judge is you, yourself; you must be in control and must proceed at the pace that is comfortable for you. You may need to resist attempts from outsiders (clinics, doctors) to persuade you into a rapid withdrawal. The classic six weeks withdrawal period adopted by many clinics and doctors is much too fast for many long-term users. Actually, the rate of withdrawal, as long as it is slow enough, is not critical. Whether it takes 6 months, 12 months or 18 months is of little significance if you have taken benzodiazepines for a matter of years.

Dear Pamster,

Thank you so much for your help.

NYClady

P.S.  I am going to read that over and over again.

Dear Pamster,

You mentioned in another post that Dr. Ashton tapered her patients 1mg. every one or two weeks.  Isn't that considered a fast taper?

Again thanks!

NYClady

1mg  Reductions is not considered fast???? To me I would think that would be a considerable drop and way to fast based on everything that I have read. For example I was on 4mg of K a day and I dropped 1mg every two weeks for a total of an 8 week taper and that was way to fast and not inline with the 10% reduction every 2 weeks that is recommended. Dr. Ashtons Manual has a 3mg K schedule that takes a minimum of 14 weeks up to 28 weeks. Am I missing something???

The schedules are based on 1 mg Valium reductions.  Keep in mind, I didn't taper so I only know what I read, I don't know what is too fast or too slow.  I do know we're all different and must take this into consideration when planning and executing tapers.

Oh I didnt catch the Valium Part anywhere. I just saw in NYClady's signature she was on K and thats what you and I were on and I know that me dropping 1mg every two weeks was hell and cant imagine dropping as much as you did at one shot  :o Just trying to clarify making sure I my cog fog wasnt setting in to deep.