Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Help! Jumped off on .125 of Klonopin and had severe withdrawls, now reinstated

[...]

Nightmare!  Went on Klonopin in March '09 for sleep at .5.  May '10 went down to .25 with little issues (I also take .5 MG of Ambien a night since '99).  Since March, cut down on Klonopin slowly by dry cutting to .125 for about 3 weeks.  Was doing ok.  Thought I could jump and I did on 7/1/11. 

By 7/5/11 I was going nuts so I reinstated.  Still not myself.  How long does it take to be back to where I was last week? 

I am seeing the Dr. on Monday to discuss stabilizing and then dropping .10 % every 10-14 days from .125 by compounding the drug at Walgreens.  Think it will take about 6 months. 

Any other advice?  Also in time, want to come off the Ambien, but that's further down the road.   

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [...]

• [Lo...]

• [Ni...]

• [Mi...]

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi nmav,

Sorry to hear about the struggle you're having.

There is no telling how soon you will be back to the way you were last week.

Hopefully, you will become stable soon.

Good to hear you will be talking to a Doctor soon as he should be able to help you.

Please ask questions we are all here to help.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies,

Mike

[df...]

nmav,

Welcoming you to BenzoBuddies.

You will find plenty of support here.

If you have any questions, we're here to help.

Sigma.

It's 4:00 am I am wide awake. I've taken about .25 k tonight hoping it would hit me. Do I just need to suck it up until I readjust?  I read that it takes about 5 days to get into your system so would you think in a couple of days I would be back? 

It sounds like it depends on the individual from what they are saying here.

5] Peak blood concentrations of 6.5–13.5 ng/mL were usually reached within 1–2 hours following a single 2 mg oral dose of micronized clonazepam in healthy adults. In some individuals, however, peak blood concentrations were reached at 4–8 hours.[100]

Clonazepam passes rapidly into the central nervous system, with levels in the brain corresponding with levels of unbound clonazepam in the blood serum.[101] Clonazepam plasma levels are very unreliable amongst patients. Plasma levels of clonazepam can vary as much as tenfold between different patients.[102]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clonazepam#Pharmacokinetics

Just hang in there and give it some time.

Hi nmav and welcome.

I'm so sorry you are not feeling well and had to reinstate.  Not fun, I know.

You mentioned you also take Ambien.  It has a very short half life, so it may have added to your distress.

Please let us know how you appointment with the doctor turns out.  We'll be here to support you and help you through this.

Finally fell asleep at around 4:30 with about .4 K in me.  Woke up now (5 hours) and still feel that racing feeling. Question for tonight, should I take somewhere betwen .18 to .25 or keep at .125. I'm afraid now that .125 will not do anything. Uggh. Feel that burn all through my body and have a huge day at work tomorrow.

Klonopin due to it's half-life builds up to 2-3 times the daily dose, so even though you are taking say .125mg, your blood levels could be more like .375mg. In 5 days, that levels plummets fast, but it takes much longer to get that level back up again to where it was, a good 2 weeks or more.

So don't think of Klonopin as a single dose, but it's an accumulation of many doses. Reinstating on Klonopin after only a few days usually requires some teeth gritting unless you updose significantly.

How much you should take depends on how desperate you are to be functional. I can't answer that for you.

Nmav, I am currently on .125.  I'm stabilizing with some big time waves.  Also, yesterday was having company so took it in the day and last night I too was up to 4am. So, I'm going to stick w taking the k .125 at night.  As for your mtg tmrw, since u didn't sleep last night, it will be easier for u to sleep tonight.  I would rec u don't nap today and head in as soon as you feel tired tonight cause we all function better with a good nights sleep.  Also some do btr c/o to lower dose of Valium since it stays in system longer.  I have summer off but dread going back to work as it so much harder to handle the side effects.  It brings on apprehension whih brings on anxiety.  I saw on another post someone rec the linden method.  May want to look into.  Remember positive affirmations, know waves come and go and we are behind you wishing you positive days.

Feel actually good today for the first time in a week.  Going to take about .20 o the klon tonight (about where I was 2 mo. ago and then see the doc tomorrow and start a plan. Does anyone recommend tapering both ambien and klon with Valium or should I focus on eliminating klon by 10% cuts every 14 days?

So it's close to midnight and I took .25 tonight and I'm wide awake. Normally I would be fast asleep by now. The bad withdrawal effects have gone away which is good after 4 days of reinsating, when will the sleep come??

Good morning nmav, hope you drifted to sleep.  I've been at .125 now for two weeks and feel like I'm stabilizing.  I have to take at night or I can't sleep.  When I take it, I have to know I'm tired and I'm going to sleep.  If I get interrupted by a door slamming, phone ringing or I stay on-line, I'm up for the night. For me, keeping the same routine at night: stop having liquids after 730p,  watch tv or read for an hour before, shut my door, put on a fan (for the white noise), feeling tired, take my .125 and hit the hay. Hope it helps  :)

Thanks!  That does help.  I think that is what happened to me Saturday night.  I was pretty much asleep and then got woken up by a loud noise and was then wired and up until really late.  Last night, I did take the .25 at 10:00 PM and I believe fell asleep by 12:30, then woke up around 6:00 AM this morning.  I feel great right now and have tons of energy, which surprises me because when I was on .25 a few months back, I was so sedated throughout the day and it put me to sleep for at least 8 hours. 

I'm seeing the Doc today after work and determining my best course of action: Aston/Valium, Water Titration, Compounding Klon every 14 days, etc.  If anyone has any advice, please let me know. 

It sounds like you're armed with a lot of knowledge for your Dr visit, I've found this is the best way to go into a meeting with a Dr.  You've educated yourself, you have a list of options and you're ready to find your way out of this.  :thumbsup:

Saw the doc today and he was great. Going to keep at .25 for a week or two until the rush calms down, then taper to .125 and then 5% reduction every 7 days. He was amazed that I had such bad w/d at .125 and determined I'm very sensitive to meds and metabolize slow. I'll keep you posted and thanks so much for your support!!

Nmav, so glad doc was on board w you and hope ur tapering goes well.  I too was always sensitive to meds and often couldnt take due to experiencing adverse side effects. Im currently at .125. How will u taper down from that. Do you cut the .125 pill or do they make a lower dose.  Continue to heal....

@[lo...]

Today I definitely feel tired after the .25 for the last couple of days.  Still had a bit of the "rush" when I woke up this morning, but I probably slept about 7 hours which is the most in the past 10 days.  Tonight I'm going to shave a bit off to around .20 - .22ish. 

It sounds as if you have a wonderful doctor who is willing to help you through this. :)

You'll get there, and your taper plan sound quite reasonable in light of what you have experienced in the past.

Please let us know how it goes, and if we can assist you in any way. :thumbsup:

Have now stabilized back at .125 of klonopin with the .5 of ambien and feel back to normal for the past week. Seeing my sleep doc next Tuesday and may try the wafers so I can get an accurate dose at .125 (my cuts are usually not consistent). Will try the wafers for a month or two and then determine the compound taper. Anyone try the wafers before?  So you desolve under the tongue?

I'm glad you are feeling much better. :yippee:

I've not tried the wafers but yes, it's my understanding they dissolve under the tongue.  Just remember though, that the wafers should not be cut.  If you go less than .125 mgs in your taper, you will probably want to try titration, or use a compounding pharmacist.

Ive been letting them dissolve on my tongue. Will check further tomorrow. But, I can tell you I wake up with a white film on my tongue and a very dry mouth.  Suggest keeping a glass of water on your nightstand.

Couple of updates and questions for the group. I've been still at .125 but have not been sleeping great and feel the wd a bit throughout the day. I don't want to go back up but I also need a bit of relief. Suggestions?  I decided to stabilize for a few months before starting the wean. I'm just not there yet after what I went through.

I'm right there with u.  I'm staying at .125 for a while.  I was up to 5am last night.  I use to be able to go right to sleep and wake up during the nite but now when I'm tired and  I start go down, I just wake up. 

Then I'm doomed.  Bad nites sleep usu means anxiety when performing tasks or working. Te only good thing is I'm off for the summer.