Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Xanax interdose withdrawal

I'm coming to the final stages of my taper. From what I've gathered, most people start to feel intense interdose withdrawal once they start dropping doses of Xanax. I was wondering if it's like this until cutting out the benzo all together? Does your body adjust? My taper plan has me dropping my morning dose first, then afternoon and finally the night time. Just curious and a bit worried.

Shaneb, I just wanted to stop by and say hi.

I'm tapering off Xanax too, I'm not as far along as you--and I have been tapering at 12.5%.

I started with stabilizing at 1mg then:

.875mg 3 weeks

.75mg started two days ago

I get inter dose withdrawal. It seems like I get a wave but I ride it out and it subsides a little before my next scheduled dose. Do you find that happens?

Thanks for putting this thread up. I put a similar one up in General Taper Plans: Am I tapering Xanax too fast?

It sounds like you are handling the taper well, I hope so, and best to you.

I tapered off xanax like 3 x's  ...  I had the worse time and each time i got back on with in a few months...  When I did the valium taper slowly I stayed off a year.. Icould totally tell a difference...  Good luck  8)

I tapered off a similarly short-acting benzo (Ativan/lorazepam) and had withdrawal symptoms pretty much all the time so I didn't notice any increase in what would be interdose withdrawal when I dropped a dose.  Toward the end I was on .125mg 3x/day and dropped them as you are planning on dropping the last of the Xanax.  Didn't seem any worse to me.

The only time I do notice interdose withdrawal is upon awaking, but once I get my morning does in me then I'm fine. This is why I'm worrying.

Meljo, why'd you go back each time you jumped off?

Nicolette, you're on your way to freedom, too :D

Thank you for posting your schedule, it gives me ideas on how to work mine.

I have been doing:

.25mg 11 am

.25mg.  6 pm

.25mg  12-1 am

For some reason I can go longer from my night dose till my morning dose. I think it's because I take the evening and night ones closer together. It's because I want to be able to sleep, and I do, 5 hours a night. I wake up groggy. I just accept that I will not get more that 5 hours a night (and hopefully that when I'm further down) because I would rather get those 5 hours straight than tossing and turning or waking up for 2 hours in the middle of the night.

I've been on this schedule for the last two days and my waves are no worse than when I took the Xanax inconsistently, which was all the time.

My waves are more in the afternoon, so I will probably do my next cut in the morning. A lot of people seem to have morning anxiety. Have you thought of cutting down on your afternoon dose, since it's the morning that you have your inter dose withdrawals more?  Hope all goes well.