Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

2nd attempt at Ativan taper

[Gl...]

Hey guys, my insomnia has gotten a lot better since I posted last on my first taper attempt.  I consider myself stabilized because I've been sleeping 10-14 hours a night..lol.  I got a new guitar and I've been practicing a lot, playing the metal music I love and some acoustic downtempo stuff too which I love just the same..getting back into playing guitar is giving me a renewed energy and lately I've been happier than usual.

This time, I'm trying to go for a taper from 2 to 1.5mg again.  I'm hoping it works out this time and I can make it enough days to where I can get used to the dose reduction.  I took 1.5 mg last night and felt no different than usual except a little less of the Ativan 'high'.  I have a lot of healthy energy lately and I figured it would be a good time to take advantage of the situation and try to quit again.  I'll keep you guys posted on what happens.

Good luck although I think a .5 mg reduction might be too steep a start. If things get too tough consider cutting a pill in half and go with a .25 mg reduction from your 2 mg.

Update: this will be my 3rd day of 1.5mg and Ive been doing great.  I seem to handle withdrawals really well as long as I can sleep and this time Im sleeping well.  I think Im going to stay with 1.5mg this time and hopefully it will take me on the road to quitting  ;D

Glyn

.5mg drop was an agressive move. Before I knew better I did an ativan cut from 2mg to 1.5 ok (had been on it 3mos) but then when I tried to repeat it again to 1.0mg  I hit a solid brick wall which is where I am now.  generally speaking withdrawal seems to be a percentage game.  According to a medical article I recently read the lower the amount we are taking the greater the risk of messing up our taper because (as I believe you know) the absolute amount we are taking has to get smaller to hold a relatively constant %

Really happy to hear you are feeling better!

Unfortunately, I stopped sleeping on about the 4th or 5th day which was really discouraging and I had to up my dosage again to 2mg.  The good news though is that I convinced my doctor to finally prescribe me Valium in an attempt to ween myself off. I'm going to make a new thread asking some questions about the Valium taper.

GlynG...good for you for trying!  The sleep can be a really tough s/x for a lot of people.  I haven't had TOO many issues w/ it...although as I type this it's 1am and I can't sleep. lol  But that doesn't happen often.  :)

I did a crossover to Diazepam from Clonazepam.  The crossover was tough...but I stuck w/ it and am happy I did.  I like that w/ Diazepam it's easier to make smaller cuts. 

Hope all goes well...keep us posted!!!

Take care,

Schatje

• 2 weeks later...
With all things considered, it's going really well though I am still having some pretty difficult times.  The trend so far has been that I'll have insomnia for 1-2 days and then finally sleep.  I made it to 15mg by cutting by 2.5mg every 7 days.  I was doing great with barely any insomnia for the first cut and then the second cut I got insomnia right away and haven't gotten any sleep yet.  I'm just hoping that I can get some sleep sometime soon.  I'm trying to stay positive but the no sleep thing is a real bitch...lol.  I had a couple of times during the first cut where I couldn't sleep for a day or two also, maybe 3 days, but then it leveled out..so I'm hoping the same thing happens with this cut.  What kind of problems are you running into with your Valium cross over?

Mainly sleep, but I found that 250 mg of magnesium has increased that a bit. Then theres anxiety, this is my 3rd time trying to quit and this stuff feels like its part of my dna.(ugh) . And ive found that im going too fast, I havent updated my profile yet but ive had to backtrack a fair bit because I couldnt sustain the rate I was going.    Get the magnesium.

good luck bro