Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Alternative to benzos

[no...]

Hello everyone, I have been lurking on the forums for a while and finally decided to join to ask a few quesitons. I sense that the general vibe here is against benzo usage. So as I face this new situation in my life, I am wondering what everyone is doing insted of using benzos for anxiety?. Weather it be another medication, vitamins, or nothing at all now. What do you recommmend instead of benzos? In what case would you recommend benzos, if any? What would you say to someone who is about to start benzos for anxiety?

I was on klonopin 2mg daily for 2 years, and cold Turkey 2 years ago. Now 2 years later I now have work anxiety preventing me to go to work. So idk if I should go back on it. I have to get back to work.

Hi notsure, welcome to BenzoBuddies and congratulations on being benzo free :)

The best thing for me has simply been exercise, avoiding sugar and caffeine. I know that all sounds easy but it does help me a lot. I always think it's best to use coping skills towards anxiety. Many have gotten results from CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy). Here's an anxiety thread here you can search through and find some input from other buddies http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=58.0

Star 

My advice is not to use a benzo any longer than two weeks. As benzos are not a long term solution, you are correct in wanting to find other solutions. Depending on what kind of anxiety it is depends on what the best treatment would be. Most of us here that are getting off benzos have a chemical problem that leads to anxiety way up and beyond what the average person deals with. For us thereby helps the fear but not physical sensations for the most part. Some try SSRI'S and have mixed results. Excercise seems to be the best thing at relieving anxiety but for us, it lasts maybe a few hrs.

For anxiety that is more psychological, or stems from thoughts, feelings, fears ect, excercise and CBT are by FAR the most effective treatment. Also science shows that excercise helps the brain grow new neurons which is good for anyone!! Beyond that you can try herbs for anxiety, there's a whole list online. L-theanine works well, 5htp could be a benefit. Taurine and magnesium supplements. I would try any of those before a benzo.

Edit:

Just wanted to add that before benzo's I never really believe in natural stuff, alternative healing, holistic remedies ect ect. I know what we suggest goes under most of these catagories, but believe me, some of the natural alternative stuff really is of benefit. I say this BECAUSE of the fact that I was a non-believer, incase you are one as well. GL in your decision!

I agree with avoiding caffeine and sugar, but would add medications that contain pseudoephedrine.  Breathing, Positive Affirmation CDs, Self Hypnosis CDs, Yoga, Relaxation Music, and Positive Self Talk all have worked great for me.

You never want to go down the benzo road we've been down...trust me.  I literally shutter when I hear someone even contemplating taking a benzo.  Be VERY careful!

I got addicted to Xanax in less than 2 weeks - read my threads!  After my horrible experience I would never now recommend benzos in any circumstances

I was on klonopin 2mg daily for 2 years, and cold Turkey 2 years ago. Now 2 years later I now have work anxiety preventing me to go to work. So idk if I should go back on it. I have to get back to work.

Noone here us going to recommend you go back on benzos.  This is a site to help getting off the stuff.

Hi

I will not recommend benzo's any more. They will just mask the problem. It is like you take pain killer pills for tooth ache. Clonazepam helped me for year and a half but then got worse. You have to find the best coping skill for your anxiety. The best is to learn what is anxiety disorder. And when you truly understand you can beat it without any medication. First thing I learn is acceptance and believe that nothing will happen. You can find plenty of self-books for that. Also you can go to CBT.

My recommendation : 'The Anxiety and Phobia Workbook' Dr Edmund J Bourne great book for CBT at home from my experience

This is a list what other recommend (I order them): 'Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway' Susan Jeffers

'Feeling Good' Dr David Burns

'When Panic Attacks' Dr David Burns

You can do some research on the internet about these books and many more for self-help. It is your life and you will do what is the best for you. I will try with some natural method instead of using medicaments.

Marija

Noone here us going to recommend you go back on benzos.  This is a site to help getting off the stuff.

I agree. You will not find one person here who will recommend going back on benzo's.

Marija

One of the things I've been doing while I taper is introspection regarding my anxiety issues. Accepting the fact that I have them was the big step, one I didn't even take until this latest episode. I've been working on my own 'BCT' and think when I'm done tapering off of Ativan I'll look back on the last few months as a positive thing.

Will I take Ativan again? No. If my own self-therapy doesn't work and I let something bad happening in my life completely immerse me in immobilizing anxiety I'll go to a therapist. Forgive the poor analogy but, IMO, taking Ativan for anxiety is like taking aspirin for a headache. It might work for a short while but it doesn't address the core issue. I also noticed that while using Ativan took away my anxiety for 5-some hours, it also diminished me while I was on it. Who wants to be diminished?