Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Problems with Communication

[e1...]

[e1...]

I'm 15 weeks off of benzos as of yesterday.  While I'm feeling pretty ok, I've had a resurfacing of one of my oldest symptoms.  I've not read a great deal about it on posts etc.  I'd like to know if anyone else experienced this or something similar in their recovery.  I haven't had problems like this since 8 weeks out, and I thought I had moved past this.  :(

It seems like I have trouble speaking.  I can form words in my mind, but it seems like there is an invisible wall between my brain and my mouth.  It's almost akin to stage fright.  I know what I want to say, but it's nearly impossible for me to get it out.  I also notice problems with stuttering and mixing up words.  I'll be trying to say a certain word, and another word will come out. 

This is a very troubling symptom for me, and it comes out more when i'm stressed or anxious.  Of course thinking about it makes me stressed and anxious, so it's kind of a cycle.  I can speak fine when I'm not thinking about it, or dwelling on it - but when my anxiety is high, it seems that this symptom rears its ugly head. 

your thoughts and experiences are always greatly appreciated.

Fieldychan

Okay glad that's not just me. I have the same problems and its terrible. Im 16 weeks out and I feel like an idiot sometimes. I forget words mid sentence have to stop, I've studdered words, used the wrong words, and find myself practcing what im going to say several times beofre I say it because im scared I can't do it on the fly. It's not all the time it happens randomly for me bit its something that has been going on since I first dropped my dose. Hopefully it will get better as time goes on. Ready foe the cog fog to lift...your not alone

I've experienced this too and it's godawful.  It's also really embarrassing; I feel like a complete imbecile.  This happens for me sometimes even when I am not aware of feeling anxious, which is the worst because it's so unexpected.  

I stutter sometimes, but the most troubling problem I'm having with communication is not being able to find the right word(s) for things.  That dead silence when I'm struggling to figure out what I want to say feels like an eternity.  Sometimes I can't find the words no matter how hard I try.  

Like everything else, I have to believe that this will improve.  Speaking for myself, I think that this is related to my insomnia/sleep deprivation and just being sooooo exhausted.  I think excessive tiredness accounts for a lot of our symptoms.

Mal

I have tons and tons of problems with communication. I feel stupid all the time because I have a very hard time comprehending what people are saying, comprehending what I am saying!, getting words out right, stuttering, and I often think I've been listening to someone talk but then when they stop I don't remember a word of what they just said. I want this sx to go away so bad, but I guess I have to be patient.

I do this too, even very simple words. Even names of family members names. I know the word, it just takes several seconds for me to get it out. I feel like I'm searching a file in my brain for a word or thought that usually just rolls out. It is embarrassing, because I'm not old enough for Alzheimer's.

I also can't spell very well right now and have to use spell check for words I used to know how to spell.

I think it will come back, once I have healed.

[e1...]

What you are all describing is exactly how I am feeling. Especially the "searching your brain for a file" example.  It does seem like an eternity to find the right words to say. This symptom is very intermittent for me. Some days I'm fine, others I can't spit out a sentence. Its frightening because it seems like something is so wrong with your brain.

Thanks for all of your stories.  The help is very appreciated :)

I'm having the same problem. I have been in mid sentence more than once when a word disappeared from my brain and it takes me several seconds to get it back. And like Nicolette I've even had a hard time remembering words and how to spell them. Not just difficult or complicated words but simple things.

As far as embarrassment goes, I've just stopped giving a crap what anyone else thinks :laugh:. If I hadn't I would never be able to leave the house. It is frustrating though when I'm trying to get a point across.

Try learning another language while in w/d- LOL.

Seriously though, I am sorry to hear about this distressing symptom. Seems to be very common here, so no worries about being irreversibly damaged. I thought I was experiencing latent mental retardation for a few months ;D :'( .

I know, right, Ben--I can't even finish a degree because all I have left is foreign language and I'm not fluent in my native language anymore.

I guess I need to laugh at myself more. :)

Mixing up words, mispronunciation of words, etc.  This happens occasionally and I have dealt with this pretty much since my last dose.

I get this too ... feels like constipation of the brain.  Sometimes I go in chat and cannot say anymore than Hi.  It is also very difficult to post because I don't trust that what I'm saying is exactly what I mean.  Oh boy ...

Tnank you so much for your post!  i was just thinking today how i can't talk.  it is such an effort.  it's like the words aren't there.  i totally relate, crazy, man.  we can do this! :)