Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

tapering off of ativan

[ju...]

Hi everyone

I'm kinda new, i have posted a few times 

went to my meds Dr and we talked about the Valium thing and i choose not to do that.

so i am doing

1mg twice aday for a week

then 1.5 mg for a week

1mg for a week

.05 for a week

then .25 if i need to

i think i am having phsycological withdrawl or something.  dont think i could it could  w/d  but i guess it could i was taking up to 4 mg a day but somedays less  she average the amount i took in 3 weeks and it came out to 2.5

so anyway here i go  wish me luck

carol

Hey justmewa!

Hmmm, you might be tapering a wee bit fast. We usually recommend dropping no faster than 10% of your dose every 10-14 days. At the rate you're cutting I'm not surprised that you're having some physicological problems.

If things get too rough, can you do a slower taper? How long were you on your benzo?

rufus

That's a really fast and large % taper.

I was on 4mg of ativan for 7 months and cutting 10% of my dose is still giving me a hard time and I was on it less time then you.

I hope your not setting yourself up for a bad wd period.

Good luck!

Amanda

this is how my DR said to do it,    >:( 

i hope she isnt setting me up for a  bad wd either  God knowS i dont need that right now.

THANKS

CAROL

i think im doing okay so far.  i am at my original dose and i do feel better than when i was jumping all around with my dosage.

tomorrow i go down to 1 1/2 aday from 2  (1mg)  last time i did that it wasnt fun,  if i have it bad then iwill camm my dr and talk about the valium thing.

thanks for all you support

huggs

carol

That's a large cut. You should try to stay in the 10% range every 1-2 weeks. I hope it goes ok but you may want to reconsider and make a smaller cut.

Am anda

Carol - I'm tapering off of ativan, too.  You can see my progress in the signature line.  My doc told me I could be off 3 mg in 2-3 weeks but everything I've read about withdrawing from benzos convinced me she was wrong.  Will your doc continue prescribing for you if you want to do a slower taper?  Just tapering more slowly may work better for you so that you don't have to cross over to valium. 

Not trying to scare you, but I've read a lot of stories of people suffering worse w/d over a longer period of time when they taper too fast. Of course, there are undoubtedly many people who do fine with a fast taper and just never post their stories.  Still, I decided it wasn't worth the risk and have been going slow.  Except for depression and something like hot flashes/sweating, I've been doing pretty good.

How are you feeling today?  I'm usually good the first day of a cut but, within a few days, not so good.  Something to do with the ativan half-life I guess. 

Kathie