Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

C/O to Diazepam from Temazepam, GP and patient need assistance in dosage RX

[dr...]

I'm currently doing a C/O to V from Temazepam. I was on 30 mg of the Temazepam and have started my C/O.

According to the Ashton Manual 15mg of V is = to 30 mg of Temazepam.

My GP was reluctant to do this initially, but after reviewing the Ashton Manual agreed.

My GP did not want to do a C/O like the manual suggests, he wanted to only put me on the v and drop the Temazepam. I convinced my GP to give me the Temazepam 7.5mg 30 pills.

I'm following the Ashton Manual as best as I can with what I have:

.5mg Valium 90 pills - 7.5 mg Temazepam 30 pills

Week 1: Temazepam 15mg (2- 7.5mg capsules) & Valium 7.5mg (.5mg tab & 1/2 of .5mg tab)

Week 2: Temazepam 7.5mg (1- 7.5 mg capsule) & Valium 12.5mg (.5mg X 2 & 1/2 .5mg tab= 12.5) I know this should be 12mg of Valium but I only have .5 tablets.

My GP & I need advice on how he should write my scripts for the remaining schedule?

I don't understand how my pharmacy will fill multiple scripts for 2mg and 5mg, and or 10 mg pills.

I see my GP on July 22 and would like not to keep going back for refills as it is expensive, I pay out of pocket.

I would like to add that I just completed a 6 month taper from Xanax and when I started getting low on my Temazepam I decided to talk w/ my GP about the C/O to Valium I'm actually taking the generic Diazepam.

Now I know I didn't give myself the traditional 30 grace period before tackling another Benzo, however I did wait about 2 weeks before starting the C/O, I was starting to feel interdose w/d from the (temazepam) later in the day about a little over a week after jumping off the Xanax

I'm wondering, potentially how much of a problem am I creating by taking 12.5mg of V rather than 12mg as directed in the Ashton manual. My concern is that my equivalent dosage should be 15.75 mg of diazepam now, except it's a bit higher because my diazepam is 12.5 instead of 12 mg Does anyone know a good way to get a smaller dose from a .5mg pill?

Sorry if I'm repeating myself, I'm just trying to get all these question and info out there today. Plus I'm doing this all on my cell phone, it makes it tough to read back due to my screen being so small.

I haven't slept much in the past 2 nights since I've reduced the temaz from 15mg to 7.5.

During week 1 of the C/O I slept better than I have in 8 months it was wonderful, looking forward to that again soon.

What do most of us do when we need multiple pill sizes, I'm really confused and want my next appointment w/ my Dr. to go smoothly.

One more question: I have enough 7.5mg temaz to take for the third week of my C/O, do you think it's wise to do a C/O in 3 weeks rather than only 2 ?

My Doc wasn't pleased with the speed of the tapering schedule since this is all new to him, he thought it should be faster.  But I think that when he see's my progress he may be more flexible. He has been my GP for 11 years as well as the physician who gave me Xanax 4 yrs ago and Temazepam last November. So I think he owes it to me and to himself to help myself and possibly others in a gradual taper process.

Hi, dreamsleep.

I'm so glad you were able to convince your GP to allow you to do a proper crossover.  That is rare hereabouts.  I don't think the 12.5mg Valium (vs 12 mg) will make any significant difference in how you feel.  We all metabolize the benzos a little differently so the equivalencies are never exact in my opinion.  I think you should have your doctor write scripts for the 5mg Valium/diazepam while you are crossing over and for when you start your taper.  At some point you will probably want the 2mg tablets but that could be months from now.  Hope that helps.

Hi, dreamsleep.

I think you should have your doctor write scripts for the 5mg Valium/diazepam while you are crossing over and for when you start your taper.  At some point you will probably want the 2mg tablets but that could be months from now.  Hope that helps.

Beeper thanks for your response, I still have some questions;

I'm in week 2 of my C/O and by the end of week 3 I will be completely C/O.

How long after C/O before I can begin to taper? I was thinking 1-2 weeks at most.

Also, if I only have .5 mg tablets then it would be difficult to make small cuts. I'm making cuts now for the C/O according to the Ashton manual.

To other BB who are tapering diazepam, how do they fill scripts for 2 & 5 mg tablets at the same time? in other words how would the scripts be written? Do I just go to different pharmacys to get them filled?

Thanks in advance~ Shell

I think 2 weeks is a safe time to wait before starting your taper, Shell.  BTW, if you want to make small cuts from the get go, you could go ahead and ask your doctor for the 2mg tablets.  I know I am not able to get the same drug in two different strengths.  I forgot if you mentioned if you pay out of pocket or your benzos are covered by insurance.  If there's no insurance company in the mix, the pharmacy should be able to fill whatever scripts the doctor gives you, even if it is two scripts for different strengths of the same medication.