Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hello All

[...]

I'm a new/old member. I think I was on this forum years ago when I first tried to quit Xanax. Anyway, I used Xanax for over twenty years. I've tried to quit 2 times and failed. This is my third attempt and I'm doing better, though it's a big struggle. I crossed over from .5 Xanax to 20 mg Valium 6 months ago. I'm now down to 6mg Valium. Things are getting very hard, especially sleep wise. I've been using sleeping aids, though I know they may be no-nos...ambien, depakene, and neurontin...and sometimes they don't even work. Anyway, I'm going all the way this time. The pain is worth it.

Ajax

Hello ajax,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

If you looking to quit benzos, you certainly need to avoid Ambien. It is a 'z-drug', and although this class of drugs are chemically distinct from benzodiazepines, the way they act upon GABA receptors is almost identical to Valium.

If you try using the forum search function, you find posts here about neurontin. Although opinions will vary, most members have not reorted positively about its effects, especially in respect to it being used as benzo-withdrawal adjunctive med.

I know you're right about the Ambien. I looked on a chart and it was equal to 5mg Valium. My idea is to go through with the Valium withdrawal and then to increase the depakene dosage by one pill and stop the Ambien. I've done this before, when I wasn't withdrawing and it worked..took three days. At any rate, the plan is to deal with the other drugs after the Valium taper is done. If you think I'm wrong, I'm completely open to your suggestions.

Much Thanks

Ajax

Welcome, ajax, and congrats on getting all the way down to 6 mgs Valium.  That's wonderful!

Most members here who have tried neurontin have had poor results.  It is yet another drug that needs to be tapered.  However, we all react differently to medications, and what may help one will harm another.  Just try to do some research, okay?

You're doing a fantastic job getting down to 6mgs from 20.  I believe you'll be able to do it this time, and we'll be here to help you along the way. :thumbsup:

I'd like to thank every one who's replied. This is a great site. I've dropped the Ambien...was only using it about 3 times a week anyway.

Take care

Ajax

[8a...]

Just wanted to say hello. I am trying for the third time after two failures. Currently 8.5 mg diazepam.

Good luck with your taper.

Marg