Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Coping Skills?

I wonder how others cope with withdrawal and thought maybe we could start a thread of coping skills in the hope that we could help each other. I know that each of us are different but there might be something that will help us deal with the lack of energy, depression, anger and pain of withdrawal.

Frannie

Lots of distractions clearly help.... of course when your stuck at home because of agoraphobia trying to stay distracted is a challenge. Hopefully this website will help me.

Play chess against the computer (you will probably never win but it keeps the mind busy) Ive also heard that these type of things can create new brain cells. ( those  I could use)

Video games, books, being out in nature... All have helped immensely. I really have to reign in on my PS3 use lol. It is nice to escape the torturous symptoms, but gaming can also be very addictive.

hi bb            coming on this forum takes my mind off things.thank god we have it.i just forget about time.also started knitting again and crochet blankets.read books,love crosswords and my gardening.i walk dogs when i feel up to it.plus all the housework and cooking.i can remember not being able to cook a meal when i was bad so i must be getting better even if i dont feel like i am.

On a day where I'm queasy/nauseous, I have to stay away from most activities or the nausea gets worse, so I will go on the forum, or journal...I'll colour w/ my daughter.  I bought a doodle book a the dollar store and that keeps me busy as I loved to draw when I was teenager.  I will putter around the house a lot and makes lists of things I WANT to do when I feel awesome again. :)

On a GOOD day where the nausea isn't there, I garden, I do get out to social events/shopping which is a great distraction and makes me feel "proud" when I come home...I go for a walk w/ my 7 year old or w/ my husband/daughter in the evening...we go to the lake in town and collect rocks.  I'll take time to do my nails/hair, pluck eyebrows...I love my showers, so I'll take an extra long one and I even do yoga in the shower!  lol  Why not do 2 relaxing things at once! :)  I love painting, so I've just recently painted my daughter's room (orange and purple...her choice). 

Good idea for a thread!

Hugs,

Schatje

Most excellent choice of topic, and darn relevant. Sharing skills for dealing w/ other ppl and interview/work situations would be deeply helpful and appreciated. Exposure to animals and nature, where I can find it, are helpful, and I can see where computer games would be both distracting and mind-enhancing, btu I do not have access to a computer 'round the clock.

Dealing w/ other ppl has been a bugbear since childhood, and I can't think of a time at which learning skills to do so would be more helpful than right now.

Peace, buddies

jd

Thank you for all of the good suggestions. I just came back from getting my hair cut and styled and I feel on top of the world!  :thumbsup: (Not always this way!) --but delighted that getting my hair styled has lifted me up.

I do play cards on my computer but get hooked for too long.  :) I'm going to look up that chess game and try my hand at it. I do like to watch movies on TV and can get engrossed if there is a good one. You are all great people and let's hope that we can keep this positive thread going.  :thumbsup:

Frannie

When I'm not feeling well, I watch Cornation Street on Sunday Morning and watch the episodes for the whole week. It's a great mindless distraction and keeps my mind off the negativity that I can become so involved in. Sending our healing wishes for everybody.

Frannie

[34...]

My coping skills.

Bite the bullet and keep going.

I'm not going to let a pill destroy me.

Yes, it may take some time to heal, but we do..

Keep that in mind.

S#

Great thread, Frannie!

Exercise is the most helpful thing for me in every way.  I sometimes have to force myself to do it, but anything that gets me moving, gets the blood flowing, really relieves my ongoing anxiety.  Taking a walk first thing in the morning is the best--clears my head for hours.  Doing yoga when I'm not up to going outside has been a good alternative, but aerobic exercise seems to benefit me the most.

Sitting at a computer for longer than an hour or so is trouble for me.  There's something about it that can get me too revved up, especially when I start surfing--ug.  The muscles in my neck and shoulders get super tight, my posture suffers, my eyes hurt--bad news.  In order to take care of myself, I've had to learn to pull myself away from the computer after a certain amount of time. 

Mal

Mal, I do the deep breathing that I learned in yoga but can't do the exercises anymore due to a car accident. I love yoga and it is the best thing for relaxation.

Frannie