Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Help with tapering

[Be...]

Hello everyone, long story short, I am here hoping to get some advice on tapering down from 1mg a day Clonazepam. I posted earlier in the withdrawal, use and recovery section and a kind member suggested that I post here to get more advice on tapering. I will copy and paste my original post here (I hope that’s okay) as I’m still figuring out how to use this site and fill out my profile and re-posting here is just easier (the brain fatigue is so real). Thank you in advance for any advice or kind words. 

“First, I would like to thank everyone here for any advice or kind words in advance. Long story short, I’ve been on Clonazepam since 09/2022 and I’m wanting to get off of this med as I realize how much damage it could do to me long term. I will admit that at one point I abused the med, taking more than prescribed to deal with my quickly growing tolerance. I suffer from panic disorder and agoraphobia and while I wasn’t trying to get high, I do realize the overuse was unacceptable. I’m currently prescribed 1mg Clonazepam twice a day so 2mg total a day. I used to take about 3 mgs every couple of days but about 10 days ago I admittedly freaked out and decided that I needed to stop this habit and I started taking only 1mg a day since then. So far, my symptoms are depression, dp/dr, muscle pain, GI upset, obsessive thoughts, twitching, brain fog and today I just had my first panic attack in a while. I’m very terrified of possibly having a seizure and going into cardiac arrest because of the huge cut and withdrawal, but I’ve been down to 1mg so long that I’m afraid going to my prescribed dosage will just set me back and make it harder in the long run. I keep thinking that I want to go to the ER, tell them my fears and request an anticonvulsant, but then I’m pretty sure I’ll be ripped off of my meds and I won’t survive that mentally. I’m very new to this space and just wanted to get some advice on what to do next from people who know much more than me. Thank you again.”

[je...]

Hi @[Be...]

Do you mind completing your history please? We just need to know things such as if you’ve used benzos before and if you’re on other medication. How many times a day are you dosing? Etc. You can look at mine to get an idea of how we want it listed.

Profile => Edit profile (top-right of profile banner) => Add succinct use/taper/withdrawal history to 'History' text box => click 'Save' (bottom-right).

As I said in your other post I suggest you hold this dose for a couple of weeks. Once you’re stable you can start cutting. We generally recommend cuts of no more than 5-10% of each new daily dose every two weeks. But it’s best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate. 

It will also help to keep a daily journal where you record and rate your symptoms so you can track any changes. This will help you establish patterns and recognise when you might need to hold or slow down your taper. 

• Like 1

[Be...]
2 hours ago, [[j...] said:

Hi @[Be...]

Do you mind completing your history please? We just need to know things such as if you’ve used benzos before and if you’re on other medication. How many times a day are you dosing? Etc. You can look at mine to get an idea of how we want it listed.

Profile => Edit profile (top-right of profile banner) => Add succinct use/taper/withdrawal history to 'History' text box => click 'Save' (bottom-right).

As I said in your other post I suggest you hold this dose for a couple of weeks. Once you’re stable you can start cutting. We generally recommend cuts of no more than 5-10% of each new daily dose every two weeks. But it’s best to let your symptoms guide your taper rate. 

It will also help to keep a daily journal where you record and rate your symptoms so you can track any changes. This will help you establish patterns and recognise when you might need to hold or slow down your taper. 

Thank you for the advice. I will fill out my history as soon I get home and I will hold my dose as you said. 

• Like 1