Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Cold Turkey

[Lu...]

Hey guys new to this so please don’t mind the stupid questions? I’ve been going through alot of financial issues as well as martial issues, pretty much due to this has caused me to start taking Xanax to get some sleep. I’ve been on Xanax .50 3 times a day for 6 months. I just started cold Turkey 3 days ago? I was wondering if I can use chamomile tea to help with the sleep? Ive read in prior post to stay away from chamomile tea due to help healing my gaba receptors? Then I’ve seen other post that state it’s okay? Very confused. I’m very upset that I allowed myself to jump these meds. So kinda of scared of tapering I want rid of this terrible feeling and just want to be happy again. Please help.. Again sorry for my grammar as I’m having a hard time typing due to this. Thank you 

• Sad 1

[jo...]

If you only jumped off three days ago then you could probably reinstate and then taper off them. That is the best way to reduce the potential of a severe withdrawl.

[Lu...]

Besides the lack of sleep, not feeling to bad but I was curious on something to help sleep? Chamomile tea? 

Is 6 months considered a long term user? Again sorry for these types of questions new to this? I was told by someone close that after day 4/5 I should start to get some type of sleep.

[jo...]

If your not feeling too bad then maybe try and ride it out a little longer and see how you go. You could be lucky and have a short withdrawl. 6 Months is more than enough to become dependant. In my experience nothing helps much with sleep other than time. It will come back but how long it will take is like asking how long is a peice of string. It does come back though. Insomnia is one of the main symptoms. I dont think anyone avoids that one unfortunately.

[Lu...]

Thank you for your response, is Chamomile tea safe? I was reading two different post saying yes it’s safe other saying no stay away from it?  

[jo...]

I have drank it without any problems. I can only speak for myself but I haven't heard anyone say otherwise personally.

• Like 1

[Lu...]

So they’re a strong chance I’m going to have these withdrawals symptoms for years? 

[Cr...]
Just now, [[L...] said:

Besides the lack of sleep, not feeling to bad but I was curious on something to help sleep? Chamomile tea? 

Is 6 months considered a long term user? Again sorry for these types of questions new to this? I was told by someone close that after day 4/5 I should start to get some type of sleep.

Sleep will eventually come but a cold turkey may upset your sleep for quite awhile. I don't want to alarm you but sometimes the full effect of a cold turkey won't be felt until a week or several weeks later. Of course the acute effects are very rough from the absense of the drug, but the effects of the changes in your brain caused by this drug will become apparent as time goes on.

While it is definitely a better idea to reinstate and taper slowly, if you are deadset on sticking with your cold turkey we will offer support. Just know that as more time goes by reinstating will be less likely to be as successful but is never impossible.

As for chamomile, it helps with taking the edge off of anxiety. But if you are dealing with c/t early stages it will have minimal benefit. Talking bringing anxiety down from a 10/10 to 9.5/10.

I'd hate to see you suffer through a c/t withdrawal so I implore you to give it some more thought.

• Like 1

[jo...]

No having symptoms for years is rare. It's not impossible as you will see there are people on here who are suffering long term. But its far mor likely it will be weeks to months. Tapering is advised to reduce the likelyhood of a longer withdrawl. Although plenty CT and dont suffer for years. It's impossible to give an exact timeline as everyone is different.

[Cr...]
1 minute ago, [[L...] said:

So they’re a strong chance I’m going to have these withdrawals symptoms for years? 

Like jonwil said, there is always the possibilty you will be lucky and have a relatively speedy recovery. People that taper seem to have smoother recoveries but there have been many that cold turkeyed (myself and Pamster) that recovered in less than 1.5 years.

[Lu...]

The reason I’m scared of tapering off is I’m scared of getting into an accident while commuting and at work. I already got into an accident at work so that scared me and I was told if I get pulled over it’s considered a DUI and I cannot afford that. I’ve been reading the long term effects and just want it out of my system, I’m afraid of seizures and the other long term effects. 

[Lu...]

Crono don’t mind me asking how long were you using for and what dosage? 

I dropped my face when you said 1.5 years? I don’t have that type of time with my family situation and work life? I lose it all. I’m scared and pissed that a close doctor just gave this to me without explaining the long term effects as well withdrawals. 

[Lu...]

Jonwil, don’t mind me asking how long were you using for and your dosage? I know everyone is different I’m trying to get a better understanding of this 

[jo...]
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

Jonwil, don’t mind me asking how long were you using for and your dosage? I know everyone is different I’m trying to get a better understanding of this 

This is my third withdrawl (because I'm stupid) First 2 were both CT after relatively short term use, few months. Withdrawls were rough but didn't persist after acute phase, around 3 weeks. This time I wasn't as lucky. I'm 4 months out and still having problems. Again this was a CT.

I'd really consider what crono said about tapering. You could have a short term withdrawl after a CT like I did in the past but it is a role of the dice imo. As I sit here typing this I wish I had of tapered this time. Give it some thought and talk to others on here who know more about tapering. You are only 3 days out so it's very early days. You have time to decide.

Edited by [jo...]

[Cr...]
3 minutes ago, [[L...] said:

I dropped my face when you said 1.5 years? I don’t have that type of time with my family situation and work life? I lose it all. I’m scared and pissed that a close doctor just gave this to me without explaining the long term effects as well withdrawals. 

It wouldn't be considered a dui if it is a med you are prescribed and taking as directed? I could be wrong. Also you are afraid of seizures, but they are more likely with cold turkey and relatively rare during tapers.

When I said 1.5 years that also included recovering from years of alcohol binge drinking as well. Also the 1.5 years is the time to feel almost 100% back to normal. While i had rough waves and missed a cumulative 2 months of work, the rest of the time I managed to work. It was not constant unbearable suffering up to 1.5 years.

When some people say it took 2 or more years to recover, they usually mean how long until every symptom went away.

[Cr...]
Posted (edited)

Forgot to tell you my benzo usage.

I used sporadically .5 mgs of Klonopin from 2004 to 2008. 

Then spent 18 months on .5 mg of klonopin while also drinking from March/Apr 08 until Oct 09. 

3 week reinstatement in Jan. 11 followed by sporadic use in March and Apr.

Benzo free since Apr 2011.

Edited by [Cr...]
  • Wow 1

[Lu...]

That’s awesome to hear your story as well as helping. 

[jo...]
8 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

This is my third withdrawl (because I'm stupid) First 2 were both CT after relatively short term use, few months. Withdrawls were rough but didn't persist after acute phase, around 3 weeks. This time I wasn't as lucky. I'm 4 months out and still having problems. Again this was a CT.

I'd really consider what crono said about tapering. You could have a short term withdrawl after a CT like I did in the past but it is a role of the dice imo. As I sit here typing this I wish I had of tapered this time. Give it some thought and talk to others on here who know more about tapering. You are only 3 days out so it's very early days. You have time to decide.

I wasn't prescribed. Roughly 10-30 mg valium per day.

[Lu...]

Is it safe to use Benadryl as some type of sleep aid? 

[jo...]
4 minutes ago, [[j...] said:

I wasn't prescribed. Roughly 10-30 mg valium per day.

I also drank with it which probably didn't help much.

• Wow 1

[Ca...]
Posted (edited)

I'm in the same boat man. I'm coming off alcohol and xannax. About 1mg-2mg each day for a year and drinking heavily for 3 years. The last year almost everyday and heavy.

I stopped everything on Thursday, tried cold turkey but had a panic attack with withdrawls coming on and not knowing if it was the alcohol or X. I needed 1mg of X, and had my last drink, then read about tapering. I did an extremely fast taper since Thursday, changed over from X to diazepam and from starting on 0.75mg - 0.25mg(Sunday), I found that sleeping tablets(Zopiclone 10mg) worked for me. Every time I went down I would take 2 of them and the next day taper the sleeping tablets down to 1.5 ta lets. Going to do 3 days of 0.25 tapering sleeping tablets and then CT.

Symptoms were awful, but I think it was a combination of both X and alcohol. Didn't sleep for 4 days straight and alot of others that I'm sure you've read but after 3 -4 days I found the symptoms to be less insenand just try ride out the waves of the horribleness. I feel the same about the drug and want rid as soon as but you need to listen to your body. Tapering is another form of getting off the stuff and it make life easier to live with the symptoms. If your really finding it hard and want rid I'd do fast taper if you want it to be out of your system asap. My plan when I go CT off the  is to use the sleeping tablets and then taper of them to be completely free...if all goes well.

Try stay mentally strong man, you can do this, we're all rooting for ya

Edited by [Ca...]

[Li...]
Posted (edited)
On 03/06/2024 at 13:04, [[L...] said:

@[Lu...] I will hope and pray that you'll be ok 🙏❤️🙏

Average healing time is 6 to 18 month OFF the drug, unless you are very very lucky ❤️🙏❤️

Edited by [Li...]

[En...]
10 hours ago, [[L...] said:

Hey guys new to this so please don’t mind the stupid questions? I’ve been going through alot of financial issues as well as martial issues, pretty much due to this has caused me to start taking Xanax to get some sleep. I’ve been on Xanax .50 3 times a day for 6 months. I just started cold Turkey 3 days ago? I was wondering if I can use chamomile tea to help with the sleep? Ive read in prior post to stay away from chamomile tea due to help healing my gaba receptors? Then I’ve seen other post that state it’s okay? Very confused. I’m very upset that I allowed myself to jump these meds. So kinda of scared of tapering I want rid of this terrible feeling and just want to be happy again. Please help.. Again sorry for my grammar as I’m having a hard time typing due to this. Thank you 

This is my experience. Try not to deviate from your daily routine or you could risk the chance of making your symptoms worse. Trying to cover up or lessen your symptoms with other medications or tactics can lead to a harder time. 

I have learned to ride it out. Other tha  Tylonol for headaches and pain which doesn't seem to work that great in thick withdrawal. Nothing really works while in withdrawal. I accept that now and just ride out the bad days. I tried CBD oil and THC for sleep and made things much worse. I tried teas which made things worse. The best thing to do is suffer it out. Your symptoms will lessen and go away. 

When we are in the thick of symptoms we will try anything to get relief. I try not to updose either. Stay the course. You cannot rush through the symptoms. 

That's my experience.